- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Jan 2021
In construction, the term stanchion can have numerous meanings:
- It can be a vertical post fixed to the ground on a construction site and which is part of several that either demarcate a hazardous area or a route to be followed. They can be made conspicuous by being painted in bright colours and having various signs attached.
- The term stanchion is sometimes used to denote an upright bar, post or member (not a column) that is used for support, e.g as part of several supporting a mezzanine.
- Stanchions are also the vertical metal bars which are fixed at the floor and ceiling to act as grab rails for passengers.
- Historically, stanchions were iron uprights between the mullions of a window and were frequently terminated at the top with a fleur-de-lys or other ornamental motif.
The term has also been applied to:
- The vertical members of a stud (timber) partition.
- Stone mullions (northern England).
- Vertical railings used around tombs.
NB Stained Glass Windows: Managing Environmental Deterioration, published by Historic England in 2020, defines a stanchion as a: ‘Vertical metal bar set between the mullions of a leaded window; part of the system that supports the panel. Can be set on the inside or outside of the window.’ See also: Ferramenta
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Report includes sales vs production of compressors by type.
Government announces latest plans for growth.
Will the new requirements - once passed - go far enough?
These post-WWII modular buildings were unpopular, yet ubiquitous.
What's the verdict from the court of public opinion?
Shift to home-based work influences closed plan preferences.
An overview of the current state of the market.
Organisation offers best practices for construction and modification.
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.