- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Feb 2021
A definition of disrepair is based on the former Decent Homes Standard criteria which states that a dwelling fails this if it is not in a reasonable state of repair. This is based on the dwelling age and condition of a range of building components including walls, roofs, windows, doors, electrics and heating systems. Ref Making a Difference, Housing and Health: A Case for Investment, published by BRE and Public Health Wales NHS Trust on 19 June 2019.
- Any (or Basic) disrepair is the minimum threshold of disrepair and relates to any damage where a building element requires some repair however minor, beyond routine maintenance.
- Critical elements disrepair refers to ‘…disrepair to building elements central to weather-tightness, structural stability and preventing deterioration of the property.’
- Urgent disrepair relates to situations requiring immediate repair to prevent further damage or health and safety risk to occupants.
- Extensive disrepair must cover at least 20% or more of the building element area.
Ref The economic, social and environmental benefits of stimulating repairs and improvements to the Scottish built environment to aid a green recovery from Covid-19, February 2021, Fraser of Allander Institute, University of Strathclyde Business School.
See also: Repair.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A measure of net well-being that incorporates the effect of housing environmental impacts.
- Calculating compensation for property damage.
- Decent homes standard.
- Defective premises and freeholder liabilities.
- Property disrepair and landlord liabilities
- Quantifying the health benefits of the Decent Homes programme FB 64.
- Repairs and optional improvements.
- Schedule of condition.
- The cost of poor housing to the NHS.
- The cost-benefit to the NHS arising from preventative housing interventions (FB82).
- The full cost of poor housing in Wales. May 2019
- The full cost of poor housing. May 2016
- The real cost of poor housing.
- What's the condition of your housing stock?
Featured articles and news
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.