- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 02 Jun 2019
The real cost of poor housing
Poor housing = poor health. But can we quantify this, in terms of the money that it is costing the National Health Service to treat housing related health problems? This paper reports on a BRE Trust research project which aims to: identify hazards in the home; measure their impact on the health and safety of the occupants; quantify the costs and benefits of reducing these hazards to an acceptable level. The research is possible because health and safety risk data have become available from the English Housing Survey, which can be combined with treatment cost data from the National Health Service.
The worst housing risk to health in England is a cold home, followed by fall hazards due to the design or condition of the dwelling. Some 4.8 million homes have such hazards and the cost of remedial action is estimated to be some £18bn. If they were all improved immediately, it is estimated that they would save the NHS some £600m per year in direct treatment costs. An output of the research is a ‘calculator’, which is being used by housing authorities to promote effective home improvements to vulnerable people and then measure their cost-benefit.
Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A measure of net well-being that incorporates the effect of housing environmental impacts.
- Adapting 1965-1980 semi-detached dwellings in the UK to reduce summer overheating and the effect of the 2010 Building Regulations.
- Changing lifestyles
- Creating strong communities – measuring social sustainability in new housing development.
- Decent homes standard.
- Energy companies obligation ECO.
- Fuel poverty.
- Heat Energy: The Nation’s Forgotten Crisis.
- Homes and ageing in England.
- Quantifying the health benefits of the Decent Homes programme FB 64.
- The cost-benefit to the NHS arising from preventative housing interventions (FB82).
- The cold man of europe 2015.
- The cost of poor housing to the NHS.
- The design of extra care housing for older people and its impact on wellbeing: The East Sussex perspective.
- The full cost of poor housing.
- The full cost of poor housing in Wales.
- What's the condition of your housing stock?
Featured articles and news
Bamboo pavilion built at London South Bank Uni.
Bringing in an expert.
Why the lowest price isn't sustainable.
The Most Economically Advantageous Tender.
Pipe dream or possibility?
The New Rules of Measurement.
Prioritising Sustainable Development Goals on projects.
The Architects Registration Board.
How BSRIA monitored the performance of new homes.