- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 31 Jan 2021
The Housing Stock of The United Kingdom
A BRE Trust report published in February 2020, The Housing Stock of The United Kingdom, combines the findings of housing condition surveys in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland in a single UK-wide report.
With a legacy of massive house building during the industrial revolution, the UK’s housing stock is the oldest in Europe – probably the world – and is only very slowly being replaced. Older homes often present challenges when making them healthy, safe and suitable for the future. Housing condition surveys provide the detailed information needed to inform the housing policies required to deliver better homes.
Surveys in the four UK nations are conducted separately over different timescales, with different sampling criteria and survey techniques. However, the key information they use to describe housing in the four nations is comparable, and in 2017 the four surveys were – for the first time in nine years – all being conducted during the same year.
- Dwelling age and type, size, construction and materials.
- Indicators of housing quality and condition.
- Heating, fuel type, insulation and energy efficiency.
- The cost of poor housing.
- Insights into the differences between the four nations’ housing stocks.
The report finds that: “UK housing stock is changing very slowly over time and it is clear that substantial replacement by newbuild is not an option. Improving our existing dwellings does not, however, need to be overly expensive and has multiple benefits to society as a whole, both economic and social. It is also more sustainable.”
You can download the report here: https://files.bregroup.com/bretrust/The-Housing-Stock-of-the-United-Kingdom_Report_BRE-Trust.pdf
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles.
- British post-war mass housing.
- Building Research Establishment.
- English housing stock age.
- English Housing Survey 2018-19 reports released.
- Housing shortage.
- Housing standards review.
- Housing stock.
- Minimum space standards.
- The cost of poor housing to the NHS.
- The full cost of poor housing in Wales.
- The full cost of poor housing.
- The real cost of poor housing.
- What's the condition of your housing stock?
Featured articles and news
Helping communities preserve and enhance historic environments.
Creating comfortable climates despite extreme temperatures.
Study examines how adjustable arrangements can succeed.
Government announces plans to improve accessibility.
Resource addresses pandemic-related NEC4 contract issues.
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.