- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Nov 2018
The cost of poor housing to the NHS
In March 2015 BRE published "The cost of poor housing to the NHS - Briefing Paper" The paper, funded by the BRE Trust, looks at how poor quality housing impacts on health. It updates a previous BRE project The Real Cost of Poor Housing with new models and calculations using 2011 English Housing Survey and 2011 indicative NHS treatment costs. It also widens the definition from ‘poor housing’ to include all ‘sub-standard’ housing.
The paper is available from: http://www.bre.co.uk/page.jsp?id=3611
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A measure of net well-being that incorporates the effect of housing environmental impacts.
- Accessibility in the built environment.
- Changing lifestyles
- Creating strong communities – measuring social sustainability in new housing development.
- Decent homes standard.
- Homes and ageing in England.
- Inclusive design.
- Lifetime homes.
- Lifetime neighbourhoods.
- Older people.
- People with disabilities.
- Quantifying the health benefits of the Decent Homes programme FB 64.
- The cost-benefit to the NHS arising from preventative housing interventions (FB82).
- The design of extra care housing for older people and its impact on wellbeing: The East Sussex perspective.
- The full cost of poor housing.
- The real cost of poor housing.
- Well-being and regeneration: Reflections from Carpenters Estate.
Featured articles and news
From frost damage to sulphate attack, common causes of defects in brickwork.
Precautions to take when making advance payments.
Helping communities recover from disasters and protecting them before they occur.
Instrumentation for critical healthcare environments.
Case study in the use of soft landings at the University of the West of England.
Richard Rogers wins is the AIA’s highest annual honour.
A quick introduction to a healthier and more sustainable form of construction.
The structural feasibility of modular high-rise buildings.
BRE conference on ways of providing and maintaining quality indoor environments.
CDBB publish foundational definitions and values to guide the development of the National Digital Twin.
Despite the reduction in staffing, most users remain satisfied with the service.
We run through the top 37 styles in history - but how many would you recognise?