The cost of poor housing to the NHS
In March 2015 BRE published "The cost of poor housing to the NHS - Briefing Paper" The paper, funded by the BRE Trust, looks at how poor quality housing impacts on health. It updates a previous BRE project The Real Cost of Poor Housing with new models and calculations using 2011 English Housing Survey and 2011 indicative NHS treatment costs. It also widens the definition from ‘poor housing’ to include all ‘sub-standard’ housing.
The paper is available from: http://www.bre.co.uk/page.jsp?id=3611
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A measure of net well-being that incorporates the effect of housing environmental impacts.
- Accessibility in the built environment.
- Changing lifestyles
- Creating strong communities – measuring social sustainability in new housing development.
- Decent homes standard.
- Homes and ageing in England.
- Inclusive design.
- Lifetime homes.
- Lifetime neighbourhoods.
- Older people.
- People with disabilities.
- The design of extra care housing for older people and its impact on wellbeing: The East Sussex perspective.
- The full cost of poor housing.
- The real cost of poor housing.
- Well-being and regeneration: Reflections from Carpenters Estate.
Featured articles and news
One of the largest churches in the world, the monumental St. Peter's Basilica.
How thermal comfort is quantified and how it can affect wellbeing.
Snøhetta complete a treehouse cabin that allows guests to lie beneath the Northern Lights.
Christiania is an anarchist 'freetown' in Copenhagen where strange and experimental architecture has flourished.
“UK waste data needs improving” say BRE specialists, in this summary of their report into construction waste.
UandI announce new joint venture with US developer to work on office refurbishment projects.
BSRIA give critical response to Theresa May's speech on leaving the EU.
Why buildings crack, how cracks are categorised and what can be done.
Inaugurated last week, the new Elbphilharmonie concert venue; a soaring new addition to Hamburg's skyline.
Summary of a new ICE Transport journal which says improving transport infrastructure is essential to eradicating global poverty.
BRE look at a new government report into the accuracy of heat meters.