- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Mar 2018
The cost of poor housing to the NHS
In March 2015 BRE published "The cost of poor housing to the NHS - Briefing Paper" The paper, funded by the BRE Trust, looks at how poor quality housing impacts on health. It updates a previous BRE project The Real Cost of Poor Housing with new models and calculations using 2011 English Housing Survey and 2011 indicative NHS treatment costs. It also widens the definition from ‘poor housing’ to include all ‘sub-standard’ housing.
The paper is available from: http://www.bre.co.uk/page.jsp?id=3611
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A measure of net well-being that incorporates the effect of housing environmental impacts.
- Accessibility in the built environment.
- Changing lifestyles
- Creating strong communities – measuring social sustainability in new housing development.
- Decent homes standard.
- Homes and ageing in England.
- Inclusive design.
- Lifetime homes.
- Lifetime neighbourhoods.
- Older people.
- People with disabilities.
- The cost-benefit to the NHS arising from preventative housing interventions (FB82).
- The design of extra care housing for older people and its impact on wellbeing: The East Sussex perspective.
- The full cost of poor housing.
- The real cost of poor housing.
- Well-being and regeneration: Reflections from Carpenters Estate.
Featured articles and news
A right to light generally refers to the right to receive sufficient light through an opening.
Interference and compatibility - the effects of electromagnetic fields in the workplace.
Important action is being taken to inspire young people to train as engineers.
A survey of Leicester’s historic buildings resulted in local listing being taken more seriously.
Demolition is the most high risk activity in the construction sector. Read our introductory article here.
BSRIA report on the domestic boiler market, with China recording the most 'dynamic market uptake'.
Do we really know everything important about the impacts of our infrastructure projects? And if we don’t, does it matter?
Former Chief executive Richard Howson blames government for being 'poor payers'.
An environmental plan is an essential tool for setting and managing environmental objectives for a project.
CLC call for an 'outcome-based, transparent and efficient' industry with new report.