- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 May 2020
Decent Homes for Ageing Well
In March 2020, Care & Repair England published a brochure highlighting the health benefits for older people that home improvements could deliver – while also cutting NHS costs and reducing the widening gaps in life expectancy and healthy life expectancy.
Decent Homes for Ageing Well is based on data analysis by BRE, which used the BRE Trust Full Cost of Poor Housing methodology. This brochure sets out the case for action to make existing homes better places to live and age well and calls for immediate action to improve non-decent homes lived in by older people, 78% of which are owner occupied.
It suggests that older people simply want to:
- Be safe, warm and independent.
- Live as part of their community.
- Stay actively involved with their family and friends.
- Age well at home.
Care & Repair England is an independent charitable organisation established in 1986 which aims to improve older people’s housing. You can download the brochure at: http://careandrepair-england.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Decent-Homes-brochure_Final.pdf
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Decent homes standard.
- Homes and ageing in England.
- Quantifying the health benefits of the Decent Homes programme FB 64.
- The cost of poor housing to the NHS.
- The cost-benefit to the NHS arising from preventative housing interventions (FB82).
- The full cost of poor housing in Wales.
- The full cost of poor housing.
- The real cost of poor housing.
Featured articles and news
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.
How elements and processes work together in a systems approach.
CIOB offers digital guide to proactive methods of working.
Tech will drive professional development in fields tied to infrastructure.