- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Aug 2020
A decent home is a home that meets all of the following four criteria:
- It meets the current statutory minimum standard for housing as set out in the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
- It is in a reasonable state of repair (related to the age and condition of a range of building components including walls, roofs, windows, doors, chimneys, electrics and heating systems).
- It has reasonably modern facilities and services (related to the age, size and layout/location of the kitchen, bathroom and WC and any common areas for blocks of flats, and to noise insulation).
- It provides a reasonable degree of thermal comfort (related to insulation and heating efficiency).
The detailed definition for each of these criteria is included in A Decent Home: Definition and guidance for implementation, Department for Communities and Local Government, June 2006. Ref https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-decent-home-definition-and-guidance
Ref English Housing Survey, Profile and condition of the English housing stock, 2018-19, Published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government in August 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Cost to make decent.
- Decent Homes Standard.
- English housing stock age.
- English Housing Survey 2018-19.
- Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
- Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
- People with disabilities.
- The cold man of Europe 2015.
- The cost of poor housing to the NHS.
- The full cost of poor housing in Wales.
- The full cost of poor housing.
- The Housing Stock of The United Kingdom.
- The real cost of poor housing.
Featured articles and news
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.