- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Aug 2020
English Housing Survey 2018-19
BRE is proud to have played a major role in the development of the new English Housing Survey 2018-2019 reports. The English Housing Survey is a continuous national survey commissioned by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG). It collects information about people’s housing circumstances and the condition and energy efficiency of housing in England. It is one of the longest standing government surveys and was first run in 1967.
In 2020, BRE was the the lead author on the ‘Energy efficiency, 2018-19’ and ‘Profile and condition of the English housing stock, 2018-19’ reports, as well as leading on the production of the ‘Accessibility of English homes’ and ‘Size of English homes’ factsheets.
The energy efficiency report produced a number of interesting findings, including the fact that the energy efficiency of the English housing stock has increased over the last decade. A third of dwellings are now in the highest bands (A to C) (up from 9% in 2008), while the proportion of dwellings in the lowest energy efficiency bands F or G has decreased over the same period.
The report also shows where improvement in the stock is possible. For example, just over a quarter of private rented dwellings have less than 100mm of loft insulation, and rented homes in general are more likely to experience condensation, damp or mould problems than owner-occupied homes.
This article originally appeared on the BRE website under the headline, 'BRE proud to have played major role in new English Housing Survey 2018-19 reports'. It was published in August 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Accessibility in the built environment.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Domestic building.
- Energy targets for buildings.
- English housing stock age.
- Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
- People with disabilities.
- The Housing Stock of The United Kingdom.
 External resources
- CADS Design Services, English Housing Surveys.
- Gov.uk, English Housing Survey 2018-19: Accessibility of English homes.
- Gov.uk, English Housing Survey 2018: Energy report.
- Gov.uk, English Housing Survey 2018-19: Profile and condition of the English housing stock.
- Gov.UK, English Housing Survey 2018-19: Size of English homes.
- NatCen Social Research.
Featured articles and news
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.
What type of cool roof is most suitable?
Active Travel programme prioritises cyclists and pedestrians.
CIAT issues caution for use of new standard.
Industry leaders discuss climate change, the economy and other influences.
The building manager is key to operations.
The impact Scotland’s dynamic coast has on the historic environment.