- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Aug 2020
English Housing Survey 2018-19
BRE is proud to have played a major role in the development of the new English Housing Survey 2018-2019 reports. The English Housing Survey is a continuous national survey commissioned by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG). It collects information about people’s housing circumstances and the condition and energy efficiency of housing in England. It is one of the longest standing government surveys and was first run in 1967.
In 2020, BRE was the the lead author on the ‘Energy efficiency, 2018-19’ and ‘Profile and condition of the English housing stock, 2018-19’ reports, as well as leading on the production of the ‘Accessibility of English homes’ and ‘Size of English homes’ factsheets.
The energy efficiency report produced a number of interesting findings, including the fact that the energy efficiency of the English housing stock has increased over the last decade. A third of dwellings are now in the highest bands (A to C) (up from 9% in 2008), while the proportion of dwellings in the lowest energy efficiency bands F or G has decreased over the same period.
The report also shows where improvement in the stock is possible. For example, just over a quarter of private rented dwellings have less than 100mm of loft insulation, and rented homes in general are more likely to experience condensation, damp or mould problems than owner-occupied homes.
This article originally appeared on the BRE website under the headline, 'BRE proud to have played major role in new English Housing Survey 2018-19 reports'. It was published in August 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Accessibility in the built environment.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Domestic building.
- Energy targets for buildings.
- English housing stock age.
- Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
- People with disabilities.
- The Housing Stock of The United Kingdom.
 External resources
- CADS Design Services, English Housing Surveys.
- Gov.uk, English Housing Survey 2018-19: Accessibility of English homes.
- Gov.uk, English Housing Survey 2018: Energy report.
- Gov.uk, English Housing Survey 2018-19: Profile and condition of the English housing stock.
- Gov.UK, English Housing Survey 2018-19: Size of English homes.
- NatCen Social Research.
Featured articles and news
CIAT winners announced in virtual event.
Projecting domestic and commercial environmental trends.
Pushing the boundaries of the creative process.
Report from CIOB and i3PT published.
Air rights for developing above existing properties.
New national seismic hazard maps for the UK.
Six technologies guiding O&M into the future.
Homes carved from sandstone cliffs in England.
A review of the HES pilot project.
Organisation alerts membership to findings of IHBC research.
Four outstanding professionals recognised.
Sustainable flooring from super strong grass.
Organisation presents reactions from industry leaders.