- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Mar 2022
Europe is one of the world’s continents, located in the Northern Hemisphere and (mostly) in the Eastern Hemisphere. As of 2016, Europe had a total population of approximately 741 million (roughly 11% of the global population).
In terms of politics, Europe is divided into roughly fifty sovereign states and territories:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Czech Republic.
- San Marino.
- United Kingdom.
- Vatican City.
The European Union (EU) is a partnership between 28 European countries which aims to create ‘an ever closer union between the peoples of Europe’. With the original intention of improving economic stability, the EU has subsequently expanded its role to play a significant part in many policy areas. The currency of the 19 member states that make up the Eurozone is the Euro. The Schengen Area is an arrangement among most member states that abolishes border and immigration controls with the aim of facilitating free movement of people and goods.
The EU is composed of Institutions that are responsible for forming laws, managing projects, distributing funds and determining the direction of development. These are the European Commission, Council of the European Union, European Parliament, and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Nordic Council: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Aland Islands.
- The Benelux: Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg.
- The Baltic Assembly: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.
- The Visegrád Group: Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia.
- United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.
The Construction Products Regulation 2011 (CPR) is a European Union (EU) regulation harmonising performance information on construction products across the EU. It is made most visible by the mandatory CE marking of regulated products.
The European Union Procurement Directives establish public procurement rules throughout the European Union and apply to any public purchases above the defined thresholds. The purpose of the directives is to open up public procurement within the European Union and to ensure the free movement of supplies, services and works.
Designing Buildings Wiki has a range of articles relating to Europe, including:
- Buildings of the EU.
- CE marking.
- Construction Products Directive.
- Designated areas.
- Energy Performance of Buildings Directive.
- EU Referendum - Environmental and climate change consequences for the built environment.
- European connected and smart home market.
- European Court of Human Rights.
- European hydronic controls market.
- European hydronic controls market 2019 - 2021.
- European protected species.
- European site definition.
- European Technical Approval.
- European Union Procurement Directives.
- European Union Timber Regulation.
- Forest ownership.
- Official Journal of the European Union.
- Renovation Wave Strategy RWS.
- BPIE report urges EU to incorporate the carbon footprint of construction into policy.
- British Board of Agrément.
- Buildings Performance Institute Europe BPIE.
- Countries continents and regions.
- Great Britain.
- International Organisation for Standardisation ISO.
- New European Bauhaus.
- Scottish planning policy.
- UK construction industry.
- United Kingdom.
- Welsh building regulations.
Featured articles and news
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?