- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 26 Apr 2022
Top 6 Business Strategies in Construction
|Article written and supported by Projectpro 365. https://www.projectpro365.com/projectpro-features|
Being a construction business owner is a tough job because you have to wear several hats. Sometimes, you need to be a client servicing officer, HR, or a team lead. For running a successful construction business, everything comes down to construction management. This is the foundation for streamlining and simplifying processes and workflows across the construction business.
Having a thorough understanding of managing your construction business smartly will not only improve project efficiency but will also increase overall return on investment (ROI).
 Effective strategies
Construction project management necessitates an understanding of both modern management and the design and construction process. Project management is the art of organising and coordinating human and material resources throughout the life of the project by implementing current management tools to meet defined scope, cost, schedule, and quality requirements.
- Working knowledge of general management and familiarity with the project's specific knowledge domain.
- Computer science and decision science.
- Operations research techniques, including linear programming and network analysis.
 Use construction software
Today construction businesses are realising the need for a useful project management tool to gain better control over business processes, and the significant advantages of construction management software.
- Collaboration and communication in real time.
- Accounting and budget management.
- Resource allocation and management.
- Control and exchange of documents.
- Business expansion.
 Use better project delivery systems
There's no such thing as a perfect delivery model; each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. There is usually an ideal delivery method for your business or project. Overall risk can be decreased, and budgets and schedules can be better managed, if you choose the system for your project.
- Budget, design, risks, timeline, and owner competence are five aspects to consider before choosing project delivery methods for your projects.
- Design-bid-build, design-build, construction management at risk, multi-prime, and the integrated project delivery techniques are all relevant forms of project delivery methods in construction.
 Build better procurement and subcontracting plans
Procurement management should be structured. Plan what you need to accomplish, then how you'll go about doing it. After this you send out your contract specifications to potential suppliers. They compete for the opportunity to work with you. You choose the best candidate and then sign a contract with them.
- The types of contracts you want to use, as well as any measures you'll use to evaluate the contractors' work.
- The anticipated completion dates for the job or items for which you have contracted.
- The company's standard documentation.
- The number of vendors or contractors who will be involved, as well as how they will be managed.
- What influence does purchasing have on the project plan's restrictions and assumptions?
- The development of the project timeline and the management of purchase lead times
- The process of locating pre qualified sellers
 Keep all project operations in order
Every aspect of a construction project necessitates communication. You need to form a line of communication with everyone on the ground — as well as all of the subcontractors. Whenever there is a problem, this will make the process run more smoothly and reduce the amount of emails and phone calls.
A work execution platform and construction management software are simple ways to establish a communication flow. You can keep track of updates, budgets, and scheduling changes by syncing comments, images, documents, and calendars in one place. The fast notifications and automated services allow you to convey them to other managers and accounting offices in real time, enabling a nearly email-free and paperless approach of project management.
 Better communication and flow of information
Any construction project's success relies heavily on effective communication. Teamwork and project collaboration can both be influenced with good communication. Miscommunications, delays, and problems can arise as a result of poor communication.
On a construction project, it's critical to establish a communication chain of command. These are normally clearly set out in the contract terms and necessitate communication between the owner and the general contractor through the architect. All construction communication is based on the contract documents, which include drawings, specifications, change order forms, and information requests. Any direct communication not mentioned in the contract agreements, as well as any changes to the scope or timeline that are required, must be authorised.
Featured articles and news
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?