- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Nov 2020
Business administration is the day-to-day management of a business, including business operations, decision-making, the organisation of people and resources. This is particularly important for businesses in the construction industry, which are subject to the boom and bust cycle of the economy, can involve large numbers of projects, significant financial risk and cash flow problems. It is common for businesses in the construction industry to become insolvent because of poor business administration.
There are many different roles that are related to business administration at different levels of company hierarchy. This can range from business administrators and business support officers who may work as part of an office; the officer manager who oversees the entire office; assistant managers who may oversee several different offices, branches or projects; and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who is the head of overall operations in business administration.
Depending on the size of the company, the CEO may have several directors or deputies, each of whom will be responsible for one area of company operations, such as construction, infrastructure, innovation, and so on.
In its widest sense, business administration can be considered to cover the following:
- Business analysis, strategy and decision making.
- Financial planning, including raising purchase orders and invoices.
- Marketing and communications.
- Operations and logistics.
- Programming and planning.
- Supply chain management.
- Research, development and innovation.
- Customer relations and industry out-reach.
- Diary management.
- Record keeping.
- Health and safety and sustainability.
- Human resources (HR).
- General office administration.
- Legal issues.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Business model.
- Business process outsourcing (BPO).
- Capital costs for construction projects.
- Cash flow in construction.
- Commercial manager.
- Construction manager.
- Construction organisation design.
- Construction organisations and strategy.
- Construction recruitment agency.
- Corporate finance.
- Design management.
- Human resource management in construction.
- Joint venture.
- Office manual.
- Practice management.
- Project manager.
- Site administrator.
- Succession planning.
- Types of construction organisation.
- Vested outsourcing.
Featured articles and news
A review of the HES pilot project.
Organisation alerts membership to findings of IHBC research.
Four outstanding professionals recognised.
Sustainable flooring from super strong grass.
Organisation presents reactions from industry leaders.
New infrastructure bank to be based in the North of England.
Fairer, faster, greener. A summary of the key points.
Strategies to help provide safer working conditions.
Protecting flora, fauna and the other natural features of Scotland.
Architecture considered somewhere between 'sublime and beautiful'.
Polish piano factory revived through an energy-oriented tune up.
Dynamic architectural approach sets out to restore and improve the environment.
Entries accepted from 1 December 2020 to 14 April 2021.