- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 03 Oct 2018
Business administration is the day-to-day management of a business, including business operations, decision-making, the organisation of people and resources. This is particularly important for businesses in the construction industry, which are subject to the boom and bust cycle of the economy, can involve large numbers of projects, significant financial risk and cash flow problems. It is common for businesses in the construction industry to become insolvent because of poor business administration.
There are many different roles that are related to business administration at different levels of company hierarchy. This can range from business administrators and business support officers who may work as part of an office; the officer manager who oversees the entire office; assistant managers who may oversee several different offices, branches or projects; and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who is the head of overall operations in business administration.
Depending on the size of the company, the CEO may have several directors or deputies, each of whom will be responsible for one area of company operations, such as construction, infrastructure, innovation, and so on.
In its widest sense, business administration can be considered to cover the following:
- Business analysis, strategy and decision making.
- Financial planning, including raising purchase orders and invoices.
- Marketing and communications.
- Operations and logistics.
- Programming and planning.
- Supply chain management.
- Research, development and innovation.
- Customer relations and industry out-reach.
- Diary management.
- Record keeping.
- Health and safety and sustainability.
- Human resources (HR).
- General office administration.
- Legal issues.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Business model.
- Business process outsourcing (BPO).
- Capital costs for construction projects.
- Cash flow in construction.
- Commercial manager.
- Construction manager.
- Construction organisation design.
- Construction organisations and strategy.
- Construction recruitment agency.
- Corporate finance.
- Design management.
- Human resource management in construction.
- Joint venture.
- Office manual.
- Practice management.
- Project manager.
- Site administrator.
- Succession planning.
- Types of construction organisation.
Featured articles and news
Applications have to be in by the end of the week.
Reflections on the 5th Annual Global Congress of Knowledge Economy, held in Qingdao, China.
An artist finds ruined and decaying buildings a source of inspiration for his work. Book review.
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.
New consultation announced on a specialist Housing Court to settle landlord-tenant disputes.
ICE responds to a transport consultation advising the government to make decisions enabling more inclusive cities.
BRE and Loughborough University complete first phase refurbishment of demonstration home.