- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Dec 2020
Construction sites will generally require office facilities to provide accommodation for site managers, to provide space for meetings and to provide storage for site documentation. Site offices are often described as ‘site huts’ even if they are large and well fitted out.
It contains instructions for standard practices relating to the organisation, the workplace, the work itself, and the workers. It can take the form of a policy and procedure manual, an employee handbook, or a combination of the two. It will be given to each staff member so that they fully understand their responsibilities, procedures and the standards expected .
The typical contents of an office manual might include:
- A description of the organisation, its objectives and policies.
- The organisational structure, decision-making authority, and so on.
- The layout of the facilities.
- Tasks and responsibilities, such as; mailing procedures, use of equipment, and so on.
- Office rules, such as; recruitment practices, office hours, waste management and so on.
- Emergency procedures.
Human resources (HR) will usually be responsible for compiling an office manual, perhaps with contributions from heads of departments. In smaller organisations, the task might be assigned to an individual. Whoever is giving the responsibility, they must be capable of writing clearly and effectively, so that the manual is easy-to-understand.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Business administration.
- Construction organisation design.
- Construction organisations and strategy.
- Corporate social responsibility in construction.
- Environmental management procedures manual.
- Equal opportunities policy.
- Human resource management in construction.
- Management structure.
- Performance management plan.
- Project handbook.
- Record keeping.
- Site administrator.
- Site facilities.
- Site office.
- Succession planning.
- Types of construction organisation.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.