The project handbook is prepared by the contractor and sets out responsibilities, procedures, and lines of communication for construction. This is a separate document to the construction phase plan which is a requirement of the CDM regulations and relates only to health and safety.
The project handbook might include:
- A comprehensive project directory listing relevant personnel, e-mail and postal addresses and telephone numbers and describing their role in the project.
- Contractor organisation charts, identifying roles and responsibilities.
- Lists of third parties including: stakeholders, statutory authorities, statutory utilities, adjacent property owners and occupants, emergency services and any other local or national bodies with an interest in the project.
- Personnel to deal with media relations and complaints.
- Head office and site operating procedures (such as purchasing arrangements and PAYE arrangements).
- Valuation dates for measurement, off-site inspections and payment.
- Meetings schedules and reporting systems.
- Records, archiving and document control strategies (including archiving strategy and security against fire or theft).
- Document distribution procedures.
- Site instructions and change order procedures.
- Cost control and reporting.
- Programme reporting and adjustment procedures.
- Commissioning and handover procedures.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
Featured articles and news
Eleven Magazine announce the winner and runners-up in their Moontopia competition.
As January is the time for hitting the gym, Designing Buildings Wiki lists the best gym architecture in the world.
London is at the top of the list of global construction megacities, beating Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
What are the innovative business models of the future, and how to incentivise supply chains to work on a whole life basis?
One of the largest churches in the world, the monumental St. Peter's Basilica.
How thermal comfort is quantified and how it can affect wellbeing.
Snøhetta complete a treehouse cabin that allows guests to lie beneath the Northern Lights.
Christiania is an anarchist 'freetown' in Copenhagen where strange and experimental architecture has flourished.
“UK waste data needs improving” say BRE specialists, in this summary of their report into construction waste.
UandI announce new joint venture with US developer to work on office refurbishment projects.
Why buildings crack, how cracks are categorised and what can be done.