- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 May 2018
The project handbook is prepared by the contractor and sets out responsibilities, procedures, and lines of communication for construction. This is a separate document to the construction phase plan which is a requirement of the CDM regulations and relates only to health and safety.
The project handbook might include:
- A comprehensive project directory listing relevant personnel, e-mail and postal addresses and telephone numbers and describing their role in the project.
- Contractor organisation charts, identifying roles and responsibilities.
- Lists of third parties including: stakeholders, statutory authorities, statutory utilities, adjacent property owners and occupants, emergency services and any other local or national bodies with an interest in the project.
- Personnel to deal with media relations and complaints.
- Head office and site operating procedures (such as purchasing arrangements and PAYE arrangements).
- Valuation dates for measurement, off-site inspections and payment.
- Meetings schedules and reporting systems.
- Records, archiving and document control strategies (including archiving strategy and security against fire or theft).
- Document distribution procedures.
- Site instructions and change order procedures.
- Cost control and reporting.
- Programme reporting and adjustment procedures.
- Commissioning and handover procedures.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
Featured articles and news
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Do you understand the different types of stone and which ones you should use where?
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.
Book review: Buildings of protestant nonconformity.
Design and testing for health and wellbeing - free download from BRE.
Retention in construction contracts.
Campaign for the reform of cash retentions.
The key points for the construction industry and BSRIA's response.