The project handbook is prepared by the contractor and sets out responsibilities, procedures, and lines of communication for construction. This is a separate document to the construction phase plan which is a requirement of the CDM regulations and relates only to health and safety.
The project handbook might include:
- A comprehensive project directory listing relevant personnel, e-mail and postal addresses and telephone numbers and describing their role in the project.
- Contractor organisation charts, identifying roles and responsibilities.
- Lists of third parties including: stakeholders, statutory authorities, statutory utilities, adjacent property owners and occupants, emergency services and any other local or national bodies with an interest in the project.
- Personnel to deal with media relations and complaints.
- Head office and site operating procedures (such as purchasing arrangements and PAYE arrangements).
- Valuation dates for measurement, off-site inspections and payment.
- Meetings schedules and reporting systems.
- Records, archiving and document control strategies (including archiving strategy and security against fire or theft).
- Document distribution procedures.
- Site instructions and change order procedures.
- Cost control and reporting.
- Programme reporting and adjustment procedures.
- Commissioning and handover procedures.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
Featured articles and news
A new concept unveiled to tackle the lack of sports facilities in inner cities.
'Open hand' designs revealed for a new entertainment complex in China.
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.