- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 May 2018
The project handbook is prepared by the contractor and sets out responsibilities, procedures, and lines of communication for construction. This is a separate document to the construction phase plan which is a requirement of the CDM regulations and relates only to health and safety.
The project handbook might include:
- A comprehensive project directory listing relevant personnel, e-mail and postal addresses and telephone numbers and describing their role in the project.
- Contractor organisation charts, identifying roles and responsibilities.
- Lists of third parties including: stakeholders, statutory authorities, statutory utilities, adjacent property owners and occupants, emergency services and any other local or national bodies with an interest in the project.
- Personnel to deal with media relations and complaints.
- Head office and site operating procedures (such as purchasing arrangements and PAYE arrangements).
- Valuation dates for measurement, off-site inspections and payment.
- Meetings schedules and reporting systems.
- Records, archiving and document control strategies (including archiving strategy and security against fire or theft).
- Document distribution procedures.
- Site instructions and change order procedures.
- Cost control and reporting.
- Programme reporting and adjustment procedures.
- Commissioning and handover procedures.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
Featured articles and news
The built environment can unlock opportunities for skills.
Additionality is a concept applied to activities and projects.
Some HPL cladding is very unlikely to adequately resist the spread of fire.
What a chartered architectural technologist does.
Building design and construction fees.
The world heritage list has evolved to embrace built, cultural and natural heritage.
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.