- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Jan 2021
Coronavirus and the construction industry
On 31 December 2019, the World Health Organization (WHO) was informed of a cluster of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. On 12 January 2020, it was announced that a novel coronavirus had been identified.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is caused by coronavirus (CoV), and can affect people’s lungs and airways. Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. COVID-19 is a new strain that was discovered in 2019 and has not been previously identified in humans. There is currently no specific treatment available.
COVID 19 has had a significant impact on world economies, both as a result of the disease itself, and from the measures that have been introduced to reduce the rate of infection. This has included travel restrictions, the closure of events and some businesses, and the isolation of at risk or infected populations.
On 23 March the UK entered a period of strict lockdown, during which people were only permitted to leave home once a day for the purposes of exercise or essential shopping, or if their job was essential and they could not do it from home.
The construction industry has been seriously affected, from supply chain disruption to absences from work, contractual implications, financial strain and long-term design implications. There has also been a degree of confusion about whether construction sites and builders merchants should remain open.
- Acoustics in the workplace.
- Adapting your technology to the new working normal.
- Beyond the pandemic.
- Budget 2020.
- Building Back Better: Health.
- Building services and health risk resilient buildings.
- Business advisers to offer free services to small firms.
- Business and Planning Bill.
- Business interruption cover under COVID-19.
- CEOs predict COVID-19 workplace changes will be permanent.
- CICV creates COVID toolkit.
- CIOB reacts to 2020 Winter Economy Plan.
- CIOB urges construction industry to share PPE with healthcare providers.
- CLC document on claims and disputes in construction.
- CLC releases Site Operating Procedures v6.
- Construction industry outlook on the upswing.
- Construction sites urged to integrate test and trace.
- Construction strategies for SE Asia.
- ConTech in a post lockdown, pre-vaccine economy.
- Coronavirus and force majeure.
- Coronavirus impact survey.
- Coronavirus job retention scheme.
- COVID-19 and mental health within construction firms.
- Covid-19 and the new normal for infrastructure systems.
- Covid-19 and the new normal for infrastructure systems - next steps.
- COVID-19 and the US HVAC sector.
- Designing HVAC to resist harmful pathogenic microorganisms (bacteria and viruses such as influenza and 2019-nCov)
- ECA Survey: Industry remains optimistic despite downturn.
- Eight organisations form engineering services alliance.
- Engineering services bodies issue coronavirus site safety guides.
- England housing market resumes operations.
- Enterprise Nation.
- Face coverings and a shifting policy background.
- Government to support businesses through Trade Credit Insurance guarantee.
- Growing focus on IAQ challenges for specifiers and HVAC manufacturers.
- Hospital isolation rooms.
- IAQ developments accelerated by COVID-19 pandemic.
- Identifying COVID-19 scams.
- IMMUNE Building Standard.
- Keeping commercial premises safe during extreme times.
- Maximising maintenance budgets after lockdown.
- Net zero and green jobs.
- New deal for infrastructure 2020.
- New domestic electrical work video.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration OSHA.
- Pandemic migration.
- Plan proposes to reinvent construction industry.
- 2020 Vision: Planning in a post-COVID world.
- Priorities for Wales during COVID-19 economic recovery.
- Re-starting construction in a COVID-19 environment.
- Social distancing compliance marshal.
- Social distancing on construction sites.
- Survey records business projections after coronavirus storm.
- The Construction Playbook.
- The future of the coronavirus furlough.
- The use of infrastructure systems - insights into the new normal.
- Timber and healthy interiors.
- Understanding mental health in the built environment.
- Ventilation and control of COVID-19 transmission.
- Winter Support 2020 - 2021 packages for businesses.
Featured articles and news
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.