- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 24 Dec 2021
Coronavirus and the construction industry
On 31 December 2019, the World Health Organization (WHO) was informed of a cluster of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. On 12 January 2020, it was announced that a novel coronavirus had been identified.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is caused by coronavirus (CoV), and can affect people’s lungs and airways. Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. COVID-19 is a new strain that was discovered in 2019 and has not been previously identified in humans. There is currently no specific treatment available.
COVID 19 has had a significant impact on world economies, both as a result of the disease itself, and from the measures that have been introduced to reduce the rate of infection. This has included travel restrictions, the closure of events and some businesses, and the isolation of at risk or infected populations.
On 23 March the UK entered a period of strict lockdown, during which people were only permitted to leave home once a day for the purposes of exercise or essential shopping, or if their job was essential and they could not do it from home.
The construction industry has been seriously affected, from supply chain disruption to absences from work, contractual implications, financial strain and long-term design implications. There has also been a degree of confusion about whether construction sites and builders merchants should remain open.
- Adapting your technology to the new working normal.
- A guide to successful exhibiting in a post Covid environment.
- An interview with Matthew Mallows - Surveyor at British Damp Proofing.
- Beyond the pandemic.
- Budget 2020.
- Budget 2021.
- Building ventilation and COVID-19 transmission risk.
- Business interruption cover under COVID-19.
- Capital allowances and super deductions.
- CEOs predict COVID-19 workplace changes will be permanent.
- CICV creates COVID toolkit.
- CICV Forum report on repair and maintenance and the COVID-19 green economic recovery.
- CIOB reacts to 2020 Winter Economy Plan.
- CIOB urges construction industry to share PPE with healthcare providers.
- CLC releases Site Operating Procedures v6.
- Clear contracts during uncertain times.
- Construction sites urged to integrate test and trace.
- ConTech in a post lockdown, pre-vaccine economy.
- Coronavirus and force majeure.
- Coronavirus impact survey.
- Coronavirus job retention scheme.
- COVID-19 and mental health within construction firms.
- Covid-19 and the new normal for infrastructure systems.
- Covid-19 and the new normal for infrastructure systems - next steps.
- COVID-19 and the US HVAC sector.
- December 2020 GDP figures show construction vulnerable.
- Designing HVAC to resist harmful pathogenic microorganisms (bacteria and viruses such as influenza and 2019-nCov)
- ECA Survey: Industry remains optimistic despite downturn.
- Eight organisations form engineering services alliance.
- Engineering services bodies issue coronavirus site safety guides.
- England housing market resumes operations.
- Ensuring a green recovery beyond the pandemic.
- Face covering.
- Face coverings and a shifting policy background.
- Government to support businesses through Trade Credit Insurance guarantee.
- Growing focus on IAQ challenges for specifiers and HVAC manufacturers.
- Health performance indicators in the built environment.
- How technology can support social distancing.
- IAQ developments accelerated by COVID-19 pandemic.
- Identifying COVID-19 scams.
- IMMUNE Building Standard.
- ISO/PAS 45005 Guidance for working safely during COVID-19.
- Keeping commercial premises safe during extreme times.
- Maximising maintenance budgets after lockdown.
- Pandemic migration.
- Plan proposes to reinvent construction industry.
- 2020 Vision: Planning in a post-COVID world.
- Priorities for Wales during COVID-19 economic recovery.
- Professional indemnity insurance in construction.
- Public Health Act 1984.
- Re-starting construction in a COVID-19 environment.
- SAGE EMG guidance on ventilation and COVID-19.
- Social distancing compliance marshal.
- Social distancing on construction sites.
- STBA report to provide blueprint for post-COVID recovery.
- Study reveals cost of inefficient contact tracing.
- Survey records business projections after coronavirus storm.
- The future of the coronavirus furlough.
- The policy changes needed to ensure a successful recovery from Covid-19.
- The use of infrastructure systems - insights into the new normal.
- Ventilation and control of COVID-19 transmission.
- Winter Support 2020 - 2021 packages for businesses.
Featured articles and news
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.
Additional support being offered to job seekers with autism.
Six ways to help our children learn.
BSRIA adds to its series of illustrated guides.
ECA calls for energy levy reform.
ICE considers creation of new professional designation.
Principles of conservation for bronze objects. Book review.
The untapped potential of charities, community organisations and social enterprises.