- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 15 Mar 2021
The term ‘furlough’ refers to a leave of absence or the process of granting a leave of absence. It is derived from the Dutch word ‘verlof’ meaning leave of absence. It relates specifically to a temporary absence due to the needs of the employer (although it also sometimes refers to normal leave taken by an employee). Employees may be permitted to seek other temporary employment during the period of the furlough.
The term has historically related predominately to US federal government shutdowns, but it rose to prominence in the UK during the Coronavirus outbreak when there was a requirement to furlough employees for self isolation, or because businesses were unable to operate at their normal capacity due to social distancing requirements or because of supply chain or financial problems.
Under the provisions of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, businesses furloughing staff during the coronavirus outbreak are given financial support by the government for the payment of wages as well as the costs of employer national insurance and pension contributions. In addition, those made redundant after 28 February 2019 can be re-employed and placed on furlough.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Beyond the pandemic.
- Budget 2020.
- CIOB urges construction industry to share PPE with healthcare providers.
- Coronavirus and force majeure.
- Coronavirus impact survey.
- Coronavirus job retention scheme.
- Designing HVAC to resist harmful pathogenic microorganisms (bacteria and viruses such as influenza and 2019-nCov)
- ECA Survey: Industry remains optimistic despite downturn.
- Hospital isolation rooms.
- January 2021 construction output figures.
- The future of the coronavirus furlough.
- Winter Support 2020 - 2021 packages for businesses.
Featured articles and news
Significant changes to BS 7671:2018+A2:2022 announced.
Students available for administrative roles.
Delisting a World Heritage Site.
Design needs to be more diverse to be widely accessible.
It’s not always a case of the centre leading.
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.