- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 29 Jan 2021
SAGE EMG guidance on ventilation and COVID-19
On 23 October 2020, the UK Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) published an Environmental and Modelling Group (EMG) paper on the Role of ventilation in controlling SARS-CoV-2 transmission. This paper examines public and workplace settings. Ventilation in domestic environments was covered in the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviours (SPI-B) and EMG paper, MHCLG housing impacts paper published on 10 September 2020.
 Highlighted recommendations
The paper includes guidelines for better ventilation and indoor air quality in buildings, and introduces proactive measures that should be taken as facilities management teams prepare for employees to return to the workplace.
- Developing a risk mitigation plan to weigh up the consequences of opening windows to minimise the spread of infection against thermal discomfort, energy cost, noise disruptions, security and health and wellbeing impacts from exposure to pollutants.
- Identifying parts of the building that have poor ventilation rates (less than five litres per second per person or more than 1500ppm CO2) and prioritise them for remediation.
- Increasing ventilation in areas where there is a greater chance of virus transmission (either through greater concentration of employees or activities that occur in those areas).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Coronavirus and the construction industry.
- Designing HVAC to resist harmful microorganisms.
- Facilities management.
- Health performance indicators in the built environment.
- IAQ developments accelerated by COVID-19 pandemic.
- Ventilation and control of COVID-19 transmission.
Featured articles and news
Study shows harmful impact of late payments on SME personnel.
Upcoming changes to the commercial supply and purchase of chemicals.
CLC introduces card for learners.
CIOB members recognised for public procurement.
Experts discuss the complex issues damaging the supply chain.
The co-founder of Get Kids into Survey discusses career paths for kids.
Report examines lack of detail in the Government's vision.
Our director Gregor Harvie hosts 4 webinars at the IHBC marketplace on Friday.
Look up construction terms on any website direct from your browser.
The revival of the public sphere in Toronto.
The story behind the copycat architecture craze.
Insight into construction materials supply and demand issues.
IHBC has announced winners of the 2020 honours.
Cement and concrete industry introduces measures to go beyond net zero.