- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Mar 2019
The term ‘mitigate’ means to make less severe or serious.
This can be important in the construction industry in a number of different circumstances.
- In relation to project delays, it refers to minimising the impact of the risk event (an event or cause of delay or disruption). For example, acceleration might be used to mitigate a delay. Where there is a claim for an extension of time, the contractor may be required to mitigate the delay and any resulting loss, even where the fault is not their own.
- In terms of losses incurred, it can refer to claimant's duty to mitigate their loss. A claimant will generally not be allowed to recover damage which could have been avoided had the claimant acted reasonably. For more information see: Mitigation of loss.
- In relation to planning policy, planning obligations or planning conditions might be used to mitigate or compensate for the negative impacts of a development. For more information see: Planning obligation and planning condition.
- In terms of risks, a contingency plan might be enacted to mitigate project risks, such as adverse weather, industrial disputes and so on. For more information see: Contingency plan.
Mitigation strategies might also be used in relation to:
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Consequential loss.
- Planning condition.
- Planning obligation.
- Contingency plan.
- Environmental impact assessment.
- Relevant event.
- Extension of time.
- Duty to warn in construction.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Architectural Technology Studio 3
Construction Industry Advisory Committee CONIAC
The real impact of late payment.
How to tell which infrastructure projects will work.
The government announces the biggest change in building safety for a generation.
Key messages from the UN COP 25 conference.
Reducing the risks of buying off-plan
A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet. Book review.
Telling the story of the Government Code and Cipher School.
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.