- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Feb 2019
Causes of flooding include:
- Heavy rainfall.
- A river overflowing or its banks being breached.
- A dam overflowing or being breached.
- Tidal waters.
It does not include:
- A flood from any part of a sewerage system, unless wholly or partly caused by an increase in the volume of rainwater (including snow and other precipitation) entering or otherwise affecting the system.
- A flood caused by a burst water main (within the meaning given by section 219 of the Water Industry Act 1991).
Floods may have a harmful consequences on:
- Human health.
- The social and economic welfare of individuals and communities.
- The environment (including cultural heritage).
- Applying flood resilience technologies GG 84
- BRE flood resilient repair project
- BREEAM Flood risk management.
- BREEAM Surface water run-off.
- Building flood resilience
- Catchment flood management plan
- Changing attitudes to property flood resilience in the UK
- Coastal defences.
- Dam construction.
- Environment Agency.
- Fighting flooding in the 21st century
- Flood and Water Management Act.
- Flood Insurance.
- Flood plain
- Flood resilient house
- Flood risk assessment
- Flood risk
- Flood risk management plan
- Flood zone
- Future flood prevention
- Future Water, The Government’s water strategy for England.
- Groundwater control in urban areas.
- Leeds flood defences
- Flood defences
- Pitt Review Lessons learned from the 2007 floods.
- Planning for floods.
- Property flood resilience
- Pumps and dewatering equipment.
- River engineering.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems.
- Temporary flood defences
- Ten years on - Lessons from the Flood on building resilience
- Thames barrier.
- Water engineering.
- Water table.
- Workplace design – flood protection.
Featured articles and news
How are bids evaluated?
Ensuring products contribute to personal safety.
Is there light at the end of the tunnel?
A new theory for managing large complex projects.
A new guide to fire safety and security in the selection of doorsets.
Review of the long-awaited discourse on these beautifully produced, colourful wallpapers.
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.