- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 19 Jul 2021
Causes of flooding include:
- Heavy rainfall.
- A river overflowing or its banks being breached.
- A dam overflowing or being breached.
- Tidal waters.
It does not include:
- A flood from any part of a sewerage system, unless wholly or partly caused by an increase in the volume of rainwater (including snow and other precipitation) entering or otherwise affecting the system.
- A flood caused by a burst water main (within the meaning given by section 219 of the Water Industry Act 1991).
Floods may have a harmful consequences on:
- Human health.
- The social and economic welfare of individuals and communities.
- The environment (including cultural heritage).
- Active resistance measures.
- Amphibious construction.
- Applying flood resilience technologies GG 84.
- BRE flood resilient repair project.
- BREEAM Flood risk management.
- BREEAM Surface water run-off.
- Building flood resilience.
- Catchment flood management plan.
- Changing attitudes to property flood resilience in the UK.
- Coastal defences.
- Dam construction.
- Elevated construction.
- Environment Agency.
- Fighting flooding in the 21st century.
- Flash flood.
- Flood and Water Management Act.
- Flood defences.
- Flood Insurance.
- Flood plain.
- Flood recoverability.
- Flood resilience.
- Flood resistance.
- Flood resilient house.
- Flood risk assessment.
- Flood risk.
- Flood risk management plan.
- Flood warning system.
- Flood zone.
- Future flood prevention.
- Future Water, The Government’s water strategy for England.
- Groundwater control in urban areas.
- Leeds flood defences.
- Natural flood management.
- Pitt Review Lessons learned from the 2007 floods.
- Planning for floods.
- Priorities for Wales during COVID-19 economic recovery.
- Property flood resilience.
- Pumps and dewatering equipment.
- Relief well.
- River engineering.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems.
- Temporary flood defences.
- Ten years on - Lessons from the Flood on building resilience.
- Types of flood.
- Thames barrier.
- Water engineering.
- Water table.
- Workplace design – flood protection.
 External references
Featured articles and news
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.
Plan stresses local involvement in city, town and village development.
Environment Agency publishes BAT guidance.
CLC guidance outlines carbon reduction priorities.
Making the most of a staycation.
Organisation urges G20 to revisit wind energy.
The historian spent much of his life compiling architectural resources.
How technology can expose efficiency levels in existing buildings.