- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Sep 2020
Causes of flooding include:
- Heavy rainfall.
- A river overflowing or its banks being breached.
- A dam overflowing or being breached.
- Tidal waters.
It does not include:
- A flood from any part of a sewerage system, unless wholly or partly caused by an increase in the volume of rainwater (including snow and other precipitation) entering or otherwise affecting the system.
- A flood caused by a burst water main (within the meaning given by section 219 of the Water Industry Act 1991).
Floods may have a harmful consequences on:
- Human health.
- The social and economic welfare of individuals and communities.
- The environment (including cultural heritage).
- Applying flood resilience technologies GG 84.
- BRE flood resilient repair project.
- BREEAM Flood risk management.
- BREEAM Surface water run-off.
- Building flood resilience.
- Catchment flood management plan.
- Changing attitudes to property flood resilience in the UK.
- Coastal defences.
- Dam construction.
- Environment Agency.
- Fighting flooding in the 21st century.
- Flood and Water Management Act.
- Flood defences.
- Flood Insurance.
- Flood plain.
- Flood resilient house.
- Flood risk assessment.
- Flood risk.
- Flood risk management plan.
- Flood zone.
- Future flood prevention.
- Future Water, The Government’s water strategy for England.
- Groundwater control in urban areas.
- Leeds flood defences.
- Natural flood management.
- Pitt Review Lessons learned from the 2007 floods.
- Planning for floods.
- Priorities for Wales during COVID-19 economic recovery.
- Property flood resilience.
- Pumps and dewatering equipment.
- River engineering.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems.
- Temporary flood defences.
- Ten years on - Lessons from the Flood on building resilience.
- Thames barrier.
- Water engineering.
- Water table.
- Workplace design – flood protection.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.