- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 29 Oct 2021
Flood risk management plans
Flood risk management plans (FRMPs) are required by December 2015 under the EU Floods Directive and they also meet one of the objectives of the National Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management Strategy.
The proposals draw on the experience of partners and earlier plans and set out how the Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales, local councils, drainage authorities, highway managers and water companies might:
- Reduce the risk of flooding.
- Help householders, businesses and communities take action to manage the risks of flooding.
- Deal with the impacts of flooding when it does occur.
- Promote a greater awareness and understanding of the risks of flooding.
- Provide the evidence to support decision making.
- Assess how proposed measures can contribute to improving the environment.
- Assess how they support the objectives of River Basin Management Plans (RBMPs).
Draft flood risk management plans have been developed for the 10 river basin districts in England (the plan for the Solway Tweed river basin district only covers the English catchments). Draft flood risk management plans have been developed jointly with Natural Resources Wales for the Dee and Severn river basin districts.
The consultation was intended to help inform decisions about:
- Where investment should be made and action taken.
- How to work.
- How fast action should be taken.
- Who should pay.
The consultation closed on 31 January 2015. The consultation on the catchments of the Solway Tweed river basin district will run until 2 June 2015, to align with the Scottish Environment Protection Agency’s (SEPA) consultation on the Scottish catchments.
The first cycle of flood risk management plans, was published in December 2015.
- BREEAM Flood risk management.
- Building flood resilience.
- Flood and Water Management Act.
- Flood Insurance.
- Flood mapping key to future development in Wales.
- Flood risk assessment.
- Future flood prevention.
- Future Water, The Government’s water strategy for England.
- Pitt Review Lessons learned from the 2007 floods.
- Planning for floods.
- Property flood resilience.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- River engineering.
- SuDS - is there light at the end of the tunnel?
- Surface water management plan.
- Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems.
- Temporary flood defences.
- Water engineering.
- Workplace design – flood protection.
Featured articles and news
A review of achievements and disappointments.
IHBC responds to PDR and defence infrastructure development.
Final report proposes improvements for UK-wide transport infrastructure.
The decarbonisation transition has begun.
Can smart homes take care of their occupants?
A showcase of She ethnic culture.
CIOB creates charter and publishes special report.
Response submitted by IHBC.
Designed to accommodate flooding or waterway traffic.