- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 10 Aug 2021
Flood risk management plans
Flood risk management plans (FRMPs) are required by December 2015 under the EU Floods Directive and they also meet one of the objectives of the National Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management Strategy.
The proposals draw on the experience of partners and earlier plans and set out how the Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales, local councils, drainage authorities, highway managers and water companies might:
- Reduce the risk of flooding.
- Help householders, businesses and communities take action to manage the risks of flooding.
- Deal with the impacts of flooding when it does occur.
- Promote a greater awareness and understanding of the risks of flooding.
- Provide the evidence to support decision making.
- Assess how proposed measures can contribute to improving the environment.
- Assess how they support the objectives of River Basin Management Plans (RBMPs).
Draft flood risk management plans have been developed for the 10 river basin districts in England (the plan for the Solway Tweed river basin district only covers the English catchments). Draft flood risk management plans have been developed jointly with Natural Resources Wales for the Dee and Severn river basin districts.
The consultation was intended to help inform decisions about:
- Where investment should be made and action taken.
- How to work.
- How fast action should be taken.
- Who should pay.
The consultation closed on 31 January 2015. The consultation on the catchments of the Solway Tweed river basin district will run until 2 June 2015, to align with the Scottish Environment Protection Agency’s (SEPA) consultation on the Scottish catchments.
The first cycle of flood risk management plans, was published in December 2015.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BREEAM Flood risk management.
- Building flood resilience.
- Flood and Water Management Act.
- Flood Insurance.
- Flood risk assessment.
- Future flood prevention.
- Future Water, The Government’s water strategy for England.
- Pitt Review Lessons learned from the 2007 floods.
- Planning for floods.
- Property flood resilience.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- River engineering.
- SuDS - is there light at the end of the tunnel?
- Surface water management plan.
- Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems.
- Temporary flood defences.
- Water engineering.
- Workplace design – flood protection.
Featured articles and news
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.
Institute applauds funding initiatives but presses for additional retrofit and tax measures.