- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Mar 2019
RIBA plan of work v project plans v OGC gateways
This article is an attempt to map the project stages set out in the RIBA Plan of Work (2007) v the RIBA Plan of Work (2013) v the Designing Buildings Wiki Project Plans v the OGC gateway review process.
The OGC gateway review process is quite different from the other three as it involves tendering for an integrated supply team to design and construct the works once the brief has been prepared (the output-based specification) before concept design commences.
NB the BIM Task Group Digital Plan of Work and the Government Soft Landings process map is based on an alternate set of stages:
- 0 Strategy
- 1 Brief
- 2 Concept
- 3 Definition
- 4 Design
- 5 Build and commission
- 6 Handover and close-out
- 7 Operation and end-of-life
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) scope of services adopts:
- Stage 1 (Preparation)
- Stage 2 (Concept)
- Stage 3 (Design Development)
- Stage 4 (Production Information)
- Stage 5 (Manufacture, Installation & Construction Information)
- Stage 6 (Post Practical Completion)
Given the complexity of this situation and the potential for misunderstanding the nature of what is meant by different project stages it is important that appointment documents and contracts set out precisely what is required, and at what level of detail for different stages of a project rather than relying on reference to ambiguous names or process maps.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Stage 1: Business justification.
- Stage 2: Feasibility studies.
- Stage 3: Project brief.
- Stage 4: Concept design.
- Stage 5: Detailed design.
- Stage 6: Production information.
- Stage 7: Tender.
- Stage 8: Mobilisation.
- Stage 9: Construction.
- Stage 10: Occupation and defects liability period.
- Stage 11: Post occupancy evaluation.
- BREEAM and RIBA stages.
- Comparison of BIM work stages.
- Copronet digital hub is designed to improve the construction industry.
- Designing Buildings Wiki project plans.
- Governance for Railway Investment Projects (GRIP).
- OGC gateway review process.
- Project lifecycle for major road projects.
- RIBA plan of work.
Featured articles and news
Your chance to comment on the draft BS 851188 - flood resistance products and flood protection products.
Rebuilding could take 20 to 40 years.
RSHP’s high-rise residential towers win a tall buildings award for excellence.
BSRIA study reveals strong growth in 2018.
Dame Judith Hackitt confirmed as keynote speaker – one year on from the Hackitt Report.
Save £100 on tickets.
Modern slavery in the construction sector.
What to bear in mind when claiming damages in construction.
How do we achieve sustainable clean-water infrastructure for all?
What you should know when appointing an architect.
A brief history plus some new developments.
How computational fluid dynamics (CFD) helps building design.
The Hong Kong Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS).