- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Jun 2019
RIBA plan of work v project plans v OGC gateways
This article is an attempt to map the project stages set out in the RIBA Plan of Work (2007) v the RIBA Plan of Work (2013) v the Designing Buildings Wiki Project Plans v the OGC gateway review process.
The OGC gateway review process is quite different from the other three as it involves tendering for an integrated supply team to design and construct the works once the brief has been prepared (the output-based specification) before concept design commences.
NB the BIM Task Group Digital Plan of Work and the Government Soft Landings process map is based on an alternate set of stages:
- 0 Strategy
- 1 Brief
- 2 Concept
- 3 Definition
- 4 Design
- 5 Build and commission
- 6 Handover and close-out
- 7 Operation and end-of-life
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) scope of services adopts:
- Stage 1 (Preparation)
- Stage 2 (Concept)
- Stage 3 (Design Development)
- Stage 4 (Production Information)
- Stage 5 (Manufacture, Installation & Construction Information)
- Stage 6 (Post Practical Completion)
Given the complexity of this situation and the potential for misunderstanding the nature of what is meant by different project stages it is important that appointment documents and contracts set out precisely what is required, and at what level of detail for different stages of a project rather than relying on reference to ambiguous names or process maps.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Stage 1: Business justification.
- Stage 2: Feasibility studies.
- Stage 3: Project brief.
- Stage 4: Concept design.
- Stage 5: Detailed design.
- Stage 6: Production information.
- Stage 7: Tender.
- Stage 8: Mobilisation.
- Stage 9: Construction.
- Stage 10: Occupation and defects liability period.
- Stage 11: Post occupancy evaluation.
- BREEAM and RIBA stages.
- Comparison of BIM work stages.
- Design phase.
- Designing Buildings Wiki project plans.
- Governance for Railway Investment Projects (GRIP).
- OGC gateway review process.
- Project lifecycle for major road projects.
- RIBA plan of work.
Featured articles and news
New report explores impact of independent museums.
Parents are pivotal in reaching future engineers.
What is a final account?
The situation with the insurance of vulnerable properties.
New standards for homes
Competition to address the grand challenges of future housing needs.
The redevelopment of Leicester's sewerage system by Joseph Gordon.
A standard design for manses in the Highland districts.
The Prairie School style.