- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 13 Aug 2021
Project lifecycle for major road projects
- A standard project lifecycle.
- Standard project deliverables.
- Project control processes.
- Governance arrangements.
0: Strategy, shaping and prioritisation
 Options phase
1: Option identification
- Identify options to be taken to public consultation.
- Assess options in terms of environmental impact, traffic forecasts and economic benefits.
- Refine the cost estimate of options (including an allowance for risk).
2: Option selection
- Carry out public consultation including exhibitions.
- Analyse comments received and select a preferred option.
- Refine the cost estimate for preferred option (including allowance for risk).
- Refine the environmental impact assessment, traffic forecasts, and economic benefits following public consultation if required.
- Produce an outline business case.
- Announce the preferred route.
 Development phase
- If early contractor involvement procurement method selected, appoint contractor.
- Carry out surveys (such as topographical, geotechnical, environmental).
- For Planning Act 2008 schemes hold community consultation including exhibitions, complete consultation report and resolve or rebut outstanding issues.
- Complete and freeze the preliminary design of the preferred route.
- Prepare draft Planning Act 2008 development consent order (or Highways Act 1980 orders if the scheme is below the threshold for a nationally significant infrastructure project (NSIP)), as appropriate.
- Complete the environmental assessment and prepare the environmental statement.
- Agree initial target cost with ECI contractor (if applicable).
4: Statutory procedures and powers
- Publish notice of acceptance of Planning Act 2008 draft development consent order and application (or notice of draft Highways Act 1980 orders if the scheme is below the threshold for a NSIP) and environmental statement as appropriate (exhibitions may be considered for Highways Act 1980 orders).
- Arrange public inquiry for Highways Act 1980 orders (if required).
- Under the Planning Act 2008 the Planning Inspectorate will decide on the preliminary meeting and examination of the application for development consent. We will need to register and comment as an interested party (the developer).
- Present evidence and rebuttals to objections for Highways Act 1980 orders at inquiry.
- The Planning Inspectorate panel or inspector will make recommendations to the Secretary of State.
- Issue secretary of state’s decision letter confirming whether orders/development consent are to be confirmed as published in draft, rejected or amended.
5: Construction preparation
- Confirm orders/development consent and respond to any high court challenges (if any).
- Obtain approval to any advance works or advance statutory undertakers diversions.
- Agree costs of construction with the contractor. If ECI is procurement method, agree final target cost.
- Produce the final business case.
- For Planning Act 2008 schemes place details of land to be acquired on deposit and publish a notice to say where these can be inspected.
- Obtain notice to proceed
- Issue notices to treat and enter take possession of land.
- Complete detailed design.
- Construct and commission scheme.
- Hand over asset for operation with as-built drawings and health and safety file.
- Open scheme to traffic.
- Agree final account with contractor.
- Contractor completes outstanding works (or re-work).
- Complete a review of project.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Comparison of BIM work stages.
- Designing Buildings Wiki project plans.
- Governance for Railway Investment Projects (GRIP).
- Great Musgrave: infilled bridge a sad reflection on state of the industry.
- OGC gateway review process.
- RIBA plan of work.
- RIBA plan of work v project plans v OGC gateways.
Featured articles and news
Design needs to be more diverse to be widely accessible.
It’s not always a case of the centre leading.
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.