- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Jun 2015
Traditional contract: production information
 Starting the work stage.
The lead consultant co-ordinates a start-up meeting with the client and the consultant team to pass on feedback from the previous stage, agree the programme for the preparation of production information along with its format, identification of work packages, sequencing and co-ordination procedures, including co-ordinating and integrating information from specialist contractors.
There should be a particular emphasis on equipment with long manufacturing times such as switchgear, chiller units, lifts, escalators and bespoke cladding systems, some of which may justify early ordering. The front-end construction work of service diversions, demolition, setting out , underground drainage, piling and groundworks may merit placing of preliminary contracts.
 Agreeing tendering and construction procedures
- The possible use of preliminary contracts (for works such as ground exploration, demolition, decontamination or site clearance).
- The possibility of ordering long-lead items (such as switchgear, transformers, or booking piling rigs).
- The form of contract and contract conditions (if this has not already been agreed).
- The nature of warranties and performance bonds that will be required from trade contractors.
- Exclusions from the contract.
- The date of possession and any phasing requirements.
- Tender procedures and the tender period.
- Any client contributions required for the contract documents.
- Insurance of the works.
- The need to appoint site inspectors.
- The need to appoint party wall surveyor(s) or rights of light surveyors.
 Preparing production information and completing statutory approvals.
The lead designer prepares a schedule of information that should be prepared for the production information, responsibilities for its preparation, a programme for its preparation and a document control system for revision control.
The lead designer co-ordinates:
- The preparation and integration of production information. Any gaps in this information that will require specialist input after a tender process should be clearly defined, showing abutment details to adjacent work faces and how such work is integrated into the overall scheme.
- The preparation of schedules of inspections and tests, mock ups and samples.
- The preparation of a draft building user's guide and a building log book.
- The establishment of quality control systems and setting out criteria.
- Outstanding information needed for building regulations and other statutory approvals (such as negotiations with the Highways England, structural calculations, CO2 emission rate and a list of specifications used in the CO2 emission rate calculations) which must be submitted before works start on site.
The lead designer co-ordinates a design review of the production Information with the consultant team and instructs amendments or additions as necessary. The cost consultant assesses any changes relative to the approximate quantities cost plan.
The lead consultant co-ordinates the preparation of a production information report for the client including any remaining components, assemblies, specialist items, samples or materials still requiring approval by client.
Featured articles and news
The rainbow JCB will be making a welcome return to the London Build Expo on 23 and 24 October at Olympia.
An introductory article to external works - all activities carried out to the external environment of a building project.
With the clock ticking, RIBA say that a 'no deal Brexit' will be "disastrous" for the architecture profession.
The focus is generally on the lime binder, but the aggregate is actually the most significant element.
The importance of communication, collaboration and simplicity when planning construction projects.
New working group is set up to consider options for raising standards across the property agent sector.
BSRIA provide a top 10 list of recent legislation and guidance affecting buildings.
Record third-time winner of the RIBA Stirling Prize - our profile of one of the world's most celebrated architects.
Foster + Partner's London Bloomberg HQ building wins the 2018 Stirling Prize.
A release schedule is prepared if not all required information has been prepared or issued when the contract is executed.