- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 13 Sep 2018
‘Surveyor’ is a very broad term that covers a wide range of disciplines and activities:
- Land and hydrographic assessment, surveying and mapping.
- Boundary identification and land registration.
- Land and resource management.
- Land valuation, rental, leases, sales and acquisitions.
- Mineral surveying for extraction activities.
- Property surveys and condition assessments.
- Property valuation, leasing, acquisition and sales.
- Property management.
- Property negotiations and dispute resolution.
 Construction/engineering surveys
- Building surveying, laying out construction projects and verify their position during construction.
- Building regulations compliance.
- Project management.
- Quantity surveying. Sometimes referred to as cost consultants or commercial managers, quantity surveyors provide expert advice on construction costs. They help to ensure that proposed projects are affordable and offer good value for money, helping the client and the design team assess and compare different options, and then track variations, ensuring that costs remain under control as the project progresses. Quantity surveyors can specialise in a specific aspect of construction costs, or in a particular type of construction (see Quantity surveyor for more information).
For more information, see Chartered surveyor.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Black book.
- Building survey.
- Chartered surveyor.
- Condition survey.
- Cost consultant.
- Development appraisal.
- How to layout a building.
- Land surveying.
- Laser scanning.
- Minerals surveyor.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Quantity surveyor.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- Site plan.
- Site surveys.
- Site appraisals.
- Site selection and acquisition.
- Surveying instruments.
- Technical due diligence.
- Vendor survey.
Featured articles and news
Access control in buildings.
MASTRO project – lifecycle costing and assessment.
Five things to consider before installing solar panels.
New conservation building for the Louvre completed.
A balance between character and climate.
Bamboo pavilion built at London South Bank Uni.
Bringing in an expert.
Why the lowest price isn't sustainable.
The Most Economically Advantageous Tender.
Pipe dream or possibility?