- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 13 Sep 2018
‘Surveyor’ is a very broad term that covers a wide range of disciplines and activities:
- Land and hydrographic assessment, surveying and mapping.
- Boundary identification and land registration.
- Land and resource management.
- Land valuation, rental, leases, sales and acquisitions.
- Mineral surveying for extraction activities.
- Property surveys and condition assessments.
- Property valuation, leasing, acquisition and sales.
- Property management.
- Property negotiations and dispute resolution.
 Construction/engineering surveys
- Building surveying, laying out construction projects and verify their position during construction.
- Building regulations compliance.
- Project management.
- Quantity surveying. Sometimes referred to as cost consultants or commercial managers, quantity surveyors provide expert advice on construction costs. They help to ensure that proposed projects are affordable and offer good value for money, helping the client and the design team assess and compare different options, and then track variations, ensuring that costs remain under control as the project progresses. Quantity surveyors can specialise in a specific aspect of construction costs, or in a particular type of construction (see Quantity surveyor for more information).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Black book.
- Building survey.
- Chartered surveyor.
- Condition survey.
- Cost consultant.
- Development appraisal.
- How to layout a building.
- Land surveying.
- Laser scanning.
- Minerals surveyor.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Quantity surveyor.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- Site plan.
- Site surveys.
- Site appraisals.
- Site selection and acquisition.
- Surveying instruments.
- Technical due diligence.
- Vendor survey.
Featured articles and news
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?
One of the seven man-made wonders of Arizona.
A more flexible approach is needed.
A quick step-by-step introduction to the BREEAM process.
First pioneered in the USA and then France.