A high-rise building is defined variously as a building in which:
- The number of storeys means occupants need to use a lift to reach their destination,
- The height is beyond the reach of available fire-fighting equipment.
- The height can have a serious impact on evacuation.
Typically this is considered to include buildings of more than 7 to 10 storeys or 23m to 30m.
Other definitions of buildings in relation to their height include:
- Mid-rise buildings of five to ten storeys, equipped with lifts.
- Skyscraper of 40 storeys or more.
- Supertall buildings exceeding 300m.
- Megatall buildings exceeding 600m.
- Groundscrapers that extend horizontally over a large distance while only being of a low to medium height.
- Super-slender buildings which are pencil-thin and of 50-90+ storeys.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 7 Engineering Wonders of the World.
- Building height.
- Fire risk in high-rise and super high-rise buildings DG 533.
- Multi-storey structure.
- Tallest buildings in the world.
- The Mile.
- Top 10 skyscrapers located in the UAE.
- Types of building.
Featured articles and news
Throughout the 20th century, Edinburgh and its council wavered between ‘conservative surgery’ and more sweeping solutions.
BRE Information Paper - Flexible electrical networks for a low carbon future: Network and built environment opportunities for enabling smarter networks.
Thomas Heatherwick's strange staircase monument tops out after 8 months of construction.
On receiving tenders, assessment must be undertaken to identify the preferred tenderer. This is known as tender evaluation.
Watch this video of construction CEOs explaining what they imagine the site of the future will look like.
Another government strategy to drive efficiency - this time the focus is transport infrastructure.
£20 million tech funding available for retrofit and innovation for the built environment.
The results of trials to assess the human response to the latest AV systems - do we trust the technology?
BREEAM-recognised IES TaP software offers greater efficiencies for users.
The government publish yet another report setting out plans for a programme to improve productivity and performance.
Treasury launches new competition for FinTech to help renters get on the housing ladder.
RSHP create a fairytale snow scene to welcome guests to The Berkeley hotel.