- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Sep 2017
A high-rise building is defined variously as a building in which:
- The number of storeys means occupants need to use a lift to reach their destination,
- The height is beyond the reach of available fire-fighting equipment.
- The height can have a serious impact on evacuation.
Typically this is considered to include buildings of more than 7 to 10 storeys or 23m to 30m.
Other definitions of buildings in relation to their height include:
- Mid-rise buildings of five to ten storeys, equipped with lifts.
- Skyscraper of 40 storeys or more.
- Supertall buildings exceeding 300m.
- Megatall buildings exceeding 600m.
- Groundscrapers that extend horizontally over a large distance while only being of a low to medium height.
- Super-slender buildings which are pencil-thin and of 50-90+ storeys.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 7 Engineering Wonders of the World.
- Building height.
- Fire risk in high-rise and super high-rise buildings DG 533.
- Multi-storey structure.
- Tallest buildings in the world.
- The Mile.
- Top 10 skyscrapers located in the UAE.
- Types of building.
Featured articles and news
The quality of Cambridge owes as much to its open spaces as to its architectural uniqueness.
If events occur that cause the completion of the works to be delayed then these may be compensation events.
BSRIA's new Building MOTs Scheme is designed to provide guidance on the next steps after compliance.
At an ICE discussion, the focus was on delivering a Northern Infrastructure Strategy based on opportunity for all.
The Considerate Constructors Scheme officially launch the new Ultra Site status for contractors and supply chains.
The risk of specification errors in the cladding sector is "worryingly high" after Grenfell, according to major distributor.
Here is our outline work plan for a private sector design and build project.
BRE are to publish new guidance aimed at assuring buyers as to the merits of off-site construction methods.
Who are the various different stakeholders in development projects? Find out in our introductory article.
How a BRE office became the centre-piece for major biophilic design research.