- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 Dec 2018
A plant room, (sometimes referred to as a mechanical room or boiler room), is a dedicated space containing the equipment required to provide or supply building services such as; ventilation, electrical distribution, water and so on.
The size of a plant room is generally proportional to the size and type of building. Large buildings may have several plant rooms, or spaces that occupy one or more storeys and some plant rooms may have specific functions, such as; battery rooms, transformer rooms boiler rooms and so on.
- Air handling units.
- Boilers and thermostats.
- Chillers and refrigeration units.
- Heat exchangers.
- Water heaters and tanks.
- Water pumps and pipework.
- Gas pipework.
- Sprinkler distribution piping and pumps.
- Electrical equipment and control panels
- Back-up electrical generators and compressors.
- Switch gear.
- ITC systems.
- Machinery for lifts.
- Ducts and filters.
- Other heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) equipment.
- Specialist equipment for swimming pools, laboratories, factories and so on.
- The ease of access for the maintenance and/or replacement of equipment when locating a plant room.
- The ability to expand if required in the future.
- The ability to expand the equipment in the room if required.
- Ventilation requirements.
- Where the plant is located externally and may be in view, screening devices may be required.
- Floors should be low maintenance finish and comply with slip resistance standards.
- Access should be restricted to authorised maintenance personnel.
- Sound transmission should be minimised with acoustic attenuation if in close proximity to user rooms/spaces.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Ancillary area.
- Building Automation and Control System BACS.
- Building management systems.
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Concept services design.
- Cooling systems for buildings.
- Electrical control systems.
- Equipment installed in buildings.
- Industrial plant and construction operations.
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing MEP.
- Types of building services.
Featured articles and news
Inspecting and reporting on moisture-related problems.
Will Norway build the world's first floating tunnel?
Domestic Retrofit training course.
Preparing to sell a commercial property.
Local Plan Route Mapper and toolkit.
Thermal mass in buildings.
CIAT's AT Academy.
The UK's most dangerous industries to work in.
Achieving an alternative route into the profession.
Why construction is so corrupt.
Restoration of Alfred Waterhouse’s Manchester Town Hall.