- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 12 May 2021
Concept services design
- Weights and location of major plant and equipment.
- Position of vertical service risers.
- Routes for the distribution of horizontal services runs including access provisions.
- Builders' work holes larger than 300 sq. mm.
- Insulation assumptions.
- Environmental control strategies.
- Geothermal requirements.
- Solar energy requirements.
- Rainwater drainage requirements.
- Below ground drainage routes.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS).
- Building shading requirements.
- Plant room space requirements including access provisions.
- Energy budget
- Energy assessment method.
- Energy targets.
- Energy sources.
- Emissions targets.
- Earthing pits and lightning protection.
- Incoming service routes and statutory utility requirements.
- Acoustic and vibration information.
Before developing a concept design strategies it is worth analysing the client's current environmental services to assess adequacies and inadequacies. The services engineer also needs to understand how future requirements might change.
A list of things to look at might include:
- IT and telecoms strategy.
- Personell and department numbers and space standards.
- Security issues.
- Equipment servicing and power requirements.
- Catering facilities.
- Waste and consumables.
- Staff leisure facilities/showers.
- Car parking/garage facilities.
- Future trends and likely expansion/contraction of different operations.
- Electrical security, standby generation and UPS systems.
- Natural light priorities.
- Zone controls to different areas.
- Existing maintenance and running costs.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building services.
- Building services concept design model.
- Building services engineer.
- Concept design.
- Concept design report.
- Concept structural design.
- Concept architectural design.
- Electrical control systems.
- Joined-up thinking is key to building safely.
- Plant room.
- Thermal comfort.
- Types of building services.
- U value.
 External references
Featured articles and news
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.
Institute applauds funding initiatives but presses for additional retrofit and tax measures.
The switch from analogue to digital has begun.
The fourth industrial revolution is well underway.
Free online resource will offer guidance on conserving places and the planet during COP26.
Government allocates additional money for building new homes on derelict land.
Smart built environments can be designed around the requirements of real people.
Consistency is at the core of realistic strategies.