- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Mar 2018
Concept services design
- Weights and location of major plant and equipment.
- Position of vertical service risers.
- Routes for the distribution of horizontal services runs including access provisions.
- Builders' work holes larger than 300 sq. mm.
- Insulation assumptions.
- Environmental control strategies.
- Geothermal requirements.
- Solar energy requirements.
- Rainwater drainage requirements.
- Below ground drainage routes.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS).
- Building shading requirements.
- Plant room space requirements including access provisions.
- Energy budget
- Energy assessment method.
- Energy targets.
- Energy sources.
- Emissions targets.
- Earthing pits and lightning protection.
- Incoming service routes and statutory utility requirements.
- Acoustic and vibration information.
Before developing a concept design strategies it is worth analysing the client's current environmental services to assess adequacies and inadequacies. The services engineer also needs to understand how future requirements might change.
A list of things to look at might include:
- IT and telecoms strategy.
- Personell and department numbers and space standards.
- Security issues.
- Equipment servicing and power requirements.
- Catering facilities.
- Waste and consumables.
- Staff leisure facilities/showers.
- Car parking/garage facilities.
- Future trends and likely expansion/contraction of different operations.
- Electrical security, standby generation and UPS systems.
- Natural light priorities.
- Zone controls to different areas.
- Existing maintenance and running costs.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Concept design.
- Concept design report.
- Concept structural design.
- Concept architectural design.
- Electrical control systems.
- Plant room.
- Thermal comfort.
- Types of building services.
- U value.
 External references
- CIBSE Design Compass: The CIBSE Design Framework.
Featured articles and news
Building acoustics is the science of controlling noise in buildings. Read our introductory article here.
ICE President Robert Mair delivers inspiring message to engineers at opening ceremony.
A form of procurement where the contractor provides a single point of contact for a supply chain.
A month after the devastating fire, emergency reconstruction works are underway.
The London Build Expo is hosting a Diversity in Construction panel and networking session on October 24.
Analysis can help develop a specification, but must not lead to inappropriate specifications being accepted.
Dos and don'ts for creating a smart home.
New ICE publication recommends pay-as-you-go tax to fund roads and other financing options.
BSRIA launches a White Paper on wearable technology and wellbeing in buildings.