- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Nov 2020
Concept services design
- Weights and location of major plant and equipment.
- Position of vertical service risers.
- Routes for the distribution of horizontal services runs including access provisions.
- Builders' work holes larger than 300 sq. mm.
- Insulation assumptions.
- Environmental control strategies.
- Geothermal requirements.
- Solar energy requirements.
- Rainwater drainage requirements.
- Below ground drainage routes.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS).
- Building shading requirements.
- Plant room space requirements including access provisions.
- Energy budget
- Energy assessment method.
- Energy targets.
- Energy sources.
- Emissions targets.
- Earthing pits and lightning protection.
- Incoming service routes and statutory utility requirements.
- Acoustic and vibration information.
Before developing a concept design strategies it is worth analysing the client's current environmental services to assess adequacies and inadequacies. The services engineer also needs to understand how future requirements might change.
A list of things to look at might include:
- IT and telecoms strategy.
- Personell and department numbers and space standards.
- Security issues.
- Equipment servicing and power requirements.
- Catering facilities.
- Waste and consumables.
- Staff leisure facilities/showers.
- Car parking/garage facilities.
- Future trends and likely expansion/contraction of different operations.
- Electrical security, standby generation and UPS systems.
- Natural light priorities.
- Zone controls to different areas.
- Existing maintenance and running costs.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Concept design.
- Concept design report.
- Concept structural design.
- Concept architectural design.
- Electrical control systems.
- Joined-up thinking is key to building safely.
- Plant room.
- Thermal comfort.
- Types of building services.
- U value.
 External references
Featured articles and news
TASC/CIOB study looks at post-pandemic struggles and trends.
The Government announces recalibrated goals.
ECA proposes strategies for the present and the future.
Paul Morrell to lead independent review of the construction products testing regime.
Standard will help employers foster wellbeing and manage psychosocial risks.
Global fire standards for safety of people and property.
An introduction to the 5 core principles of lean.
Can the profession use its skills to save the world from climate change?
How faulty science resulted in sanitation reform.
Improving facilities, accessibility and overall appearance.
Free download of TG 12/2021 available.
TESP works with The Youth Group to form skill sharing network.
Big tech collaborates on platform for the built environment.
Letter signed by 21 organisations sent to MHCLG.
Click the button to subscribe.