Concept services design
- Weights and location of major plant and equipment.
- Position of vertical service risers.
- Routes for the distribution of horizontal services runs including access provisions.
- Builders' work holes larger than 300sq mm.
- Insulation assumptions.
- Environmental control strategies.
- Geothermal requirements.
- Solar energy requirements.
- Rainwater drainage requirements.
- Below ground drainage routes.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS).
- Building shading requirements.
- Plant room space requirements including access provisions.
- Energy budget
- Energy assessment method.
- Energy targets.
- Energy sources.
- Emissions targets.
- Earthing pits and lightning protection.
- Incoming service routes and statutory utility requirements.
- Acoustic and vibration information.
Before developing a concept design strategies it is worth analysing the client's current environmental services to assess adequacies and inadequacies. The services engineer also needs to understand how future requirements might change.
A list of things to look at might include:
- IT and telecoms strategy.
- Personell and department numbers and space standards.
- Security issues.
- Equipment servicing and power requirements.
- Catering facilities.
- Waste and consumables.
- Staff leisure facilities/showers.
- Car parking/garage facilities.
- Future trends and likely expansion/contraction of different operations.
- Electrical security, standby generation and UPS systems.
- Natural light priorities.
- Zone controls to different areas.
- Existing maintenance and running costs.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Concept design.
- Concept design report.
- Concept structural design.
- Concept architectural design.
- Electrical control systems.
- Thermal comfort.
- U value.
 External references
Featured articles and news
What is a residual valuation of land and what does it involve? Have a look at our introductory article.
What will be needed to manage and plan Hinkley Point C successfully?
BSRIA publish new Topic Guide on the issues surrounding Brexit.
Around 6,000 elephants were involved in the construction of the world's largest religious monument, Angkor Wat.
Government publishes new guidance document for landlords about the April 2018 changes.
ICE publish new briefing sheet on municipal energy transmission, retailing, and legislation.
CIOB awards include origami floor joists and BIM MOOC (Massive Open Online Course).
The first CIC briefing of 2017 covered a construction economic forecast, illegal migrant workers, and a Crossrail 2 update.
Have a look at this competition-winning proposal for a new mountain range-like complex in China.
This spherical house in Vienna is considered a micro-nation - the Republic of Kugelmugel.
"Teachers and schools do not understand construction very well" and need to do more, according to Carol Lynch.