- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Mar 2018
Concept services design
- Weights and location of major plant and equipment.
- Position of vertical service risers.
- Routes for the distribution of horizontal services runs including access provisions.
- Builders' work holes larger than 300 sq. mm.
- Insulation assumptions.
- Environmental control strategies.
- Geothermal requirements.
- Solar energy requirements.
- Rainwater drainage requirements.
- Below ground drainage routes.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS).
- Building shading requirements.
- Plant room space requirements including access provisions.
- Energy budget
- Energy assessment method.
- Energy targets.
- Energy sources.
- Emissions targets.
- Earthing pits and lightning protection.
- Incoming service routes and statutory utility requirements.
- Acoustic and vibration information.
Before developing a concept design strategies it is worth analysing the client's current environmental services to assess adequacies and inadequacies. The services engineer also needs to understand how future requirements might change.
A list of things to look at might include:
- IT and telecoms strategy.
- Personell and department numbers and space standards.
- Security issues.
- Equipment servicing and power requirements.
- Catering facilities.
- Waste and consumables.
- Staff leisure facilities/showers.
- Car parking/garage facilities.
- Future trends and likely expansion/contraction of different operations.
- Electrical security, standby generation and UPS systems.
- Natural light priorities.
- Zone controls to different areas.
- Existing maintenance and running costs.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Concept design.
- Concept design report.
- Concept structural design.
- Concept architectural design.
- Electrical control systems.
- Plant room.
- Thermal comfort.
- Types of building services.
- U value.
 External references
- CIBSE Design Compass: The CIBSE Design Framework.
Featured articles and news
Balfour Beatty fined £500,000 for exposing workers to hand-arm vibration.
James Brokenshire launches a consultation on banning combustible cladding.
A year after Grenfell, we have a collection of 30 articles telling you everything you need to know.
ICE publish a policy paper on the UK’s future interconnectivity with the EU and the challenges for infrastructure.
Detailed guidance about construction waste management.
The changing identity of London communities in the face of rapid urbanisation.
Can you help? We have 300 industry acronyms beginning with 'C' but none beginning with 'Y'.
From the sinister Carceri d’Invenzione to the triple portrait of Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn and his Grand Tour travelling companions.
BSRIA launch the 5th edition of the Design Framework for Building Services (BG 6/2018).
Stella Rimmington famously said the construction industry was just as tricky as the KGB.
Construction site visitor cards are to be withdrawn.