- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Feb 2019
- The number of storeys means occupants need to use a lift to reach their destination.
- The height is beyond the reach of available fire-fighting equipment.
- The height can have a serious impact on evacuation.
Other definitions of buildings in relation to their height include:
- Mid-rise buildings of five to ten storeys, equipped with lifts.
- Skyscraper of 40 storeys or more.
- Supertall buildings exceeding 300 m.
- Megatall buildings exceeding 600 m.
- Groundscrapers that extend horizontally over a large distance while only being of a low to medium height.
- Super-slender buildings which are pencil-thin and of 50-90+ storeys.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Our duty to prevent harm and protect each other.
A quality perspective.
If buildings were people, they would be just starting to walk on two legs.
Air filtration and clean air standards.
The Dukes of Normandy and the second world war.
Conserving structures in historic designed landscapes.
Online platform to showcase acoustic solutions.
The drivers of value and how it is measured.
Do you know your Ionic from your Doric?
Construction output has been stronger than anticipated.
But blame is directed at the construction industry.