Tender documentation for construction projects
A tender is a submission made by a prospective supplier in response to an invitation to tender. It makes an offer for the supply of goods or services. Tender documents are prepared to seek tenders (offers).
Ideally, tender documents should be broken down into a series of packages (even if there will only be one main contract) each with its own design drawings and specifications suitable to be issued by the main contractor to potential sub-contractors. This makes the tender easier for the contractor to price and easier for the client to compare with other tenderers.
It is important, when this is done, to ensure that the interfaces between packages are properly identified and clearly allocated to one package or another. Having too many packages increases the number of interfaces and so the potential problems. The cost plan (pre-tender estimate) should also be re-assembled package by package to allow easy appraisal of tenders received.
Tenders documents may include:
- A letter of invitation to tender.
- The form of tender.
- Preliminaries: including pre-construction information and site waste management plan (if required).
- The form of contract, contract conditions and amendments. This might include a model enabling amendment for building information modelling (BIM), making a BIM protocol a contractual document.
- A tender pricing document (or contract sum analysis on design and build projects).
- Employer's information requirements for BIM.
- Design drawings, and perhaps an existing building information model.
Copies of the tender documentation should be kept for records.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Best value.
- Bid writer.
- Construction contract.
- Contract conditions.
- Due diligence when selecting contractors or subcontractors.
- Form of tender.
- Mid-tender Interviews.
- OJEU procurement rules.
- Pre-qualification questionnaire.
- Pre-tender estimate.
- Pre-tender interviews.
- Private Finance Initiative.
- Tender negotiations.
- Tender preparation programme.
- Tender processes.
- Two stage tender.
- Tender settlement meetings.
- Tender works programme.
 External references
- CPIC the Construction Project Information Committee, responsible for providing best practice guidance on the content, form and preparation of construction production information.
Featured articles and news
"It can feel like we’re never going to keep everybody happy". We spoke with CEO Sarah Beale about the tough challenges ahead for CITB.
Do you know your mono pitch from your purlin roof? Have a look at the different types of domestic roofs.
"The UK is lagging way behind China, India and the South Pacific" - Designing Buildings Wiki attended a discussion on smart cities.
BSRIA publish updated guide to mechanical building services systems.
Apple's new HQ opened to employees this week, and has been touted as 'the best office building in the world'.
The risk of moisture in hard-to-treat buildings.
Find out about the intricate art of pyrography.
Have a look at this newly-opened linear park on an elevated highway in Seoul.
The charity for the blind wants to encourage greater collaboration with built environment planners.
Read our review of a new book examining methods used to observe how sustainable buildings work in occupation.
BRE and Loughborough University announce plans for a 'dementia-friendly' demonstration home.
CIOB launch new toolkit tackling the poor image construction still suffers among pupils in the 14-19 age group and their teachers.