Tender documentation for construction projects
A tender is a submission made by a prospective supplier in response to an invitation to tender. It makes an offer for the supply of goods or services. Tender documents are prepared to seek tenders (offers).
Ideally, tender documents should be broken down into a series of packages (even if there will only be one main contract) each with its own design drawings and specifications suitable to be issued by the main contractor to potential sub-contractors. This makes the tender easier for the contractor to price and easier for the client to compare with other tenderers.
It is important, when this is done, to ensure that the interfaces between packages are properly identified and clearly allocated to one package or another. Having too many packages increases the number of interfaces and so the potential problems. The cost plan (pre-tender estimate) should also be re-assembled package by package to allow easy appraisal of tenders received.
Tenders documents may include:
- A letter of invitation to tender.
- The form of tender.
- Preliminaries: including pre-construction information and site waste management plan (if required).
- The form of contract, contract conditions and amendments. This might include a model enabling amendment for building information modelling (BIM), making a BIM protocol a contractual document.
- A tender pricing document (or contract sum analysis on design and build projects).
- Employer's information requirements for BIM.
- Design drawings, and perhaps an existing building information model.
Copies of the tender documentation should be kept for records.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Best value.
- Bid writer.
- Construction contract.
- Contract conditions.
- Due diligence when selecting contractors or subcontractors.
- Form of tender.
- How to prepare tender documents.
- Mid-tender Interviews.
- OJEU procurement rules.
- Pre-qualification questionnaire.
- Pre-tender estimate.
- Pre-tender interviews.
- Private Finance Initiative.
- Tender negotiations.
- Tender preparation programme.
- Tender processes.
- Tender settlement meetings.
- Tender works programme.
- The benefits of e-procurement in construction.
- Two stage tender.
 External references
- CPIC the Construction Project Information Committee, responsible for providing best practice guidance on the content, form and preparation of construction production information.
Featured articles and news
Take a look back at our top 5 interviews of 2017.
UandI announce a new joint venture to deliver a new Designer Outlet shopping destination in Cannock.
"A wilful misuse of public funds" - MPs committee calls for legal action against HS2 Ltd. for unauthorised redundancy payouts.
Do you know the difference between these key legal terms?
The government has issued advice for building owners about external wall systems that do not incorporate ACM cladding.
Choosing the right engineering path is a 'daunting process' - BSRIA launch a new publication Inspiring Tomorrow's Engineers.
Memorial service held marking six months since the tragedy, as government faces criticism over rehousing progress.
A case study of Streamline House, the winner of the 2016 Alan King Award for Excellence in Architectural Technology.
At their annual conference, Constructing Excellence call for a radical digital transformation in construction.
Do you know your bulldozer from your roller? Find out about the different types of construction plant here.
Watch this video of construction CEOs explaining what they expect the role of humans in the future of construction will be.
Work is underway on Mjøstårnet in Norway, which could become the world's tallest timber building.