- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 May 2019
Tender documentation for construction projects
Ideally, tender documents should be broken down into a series of packages (even if there will only be one main contract) each with its own design drawings and specifications suitable to be issued by the main contractor to potential sub-contractors. This makes the tender easier for the contractor to price and easier for the client to compare with other tenderers.
It is important, when this is done, to ensure that the interfaces between packages are properly identified and clearly allocated to one package or another. Having too many packages increases the number of interfaces and so the potential problems. The cost plan (pre-tender estimate) should also be re-assembled package by package to allow easy appraisal of tenders received.
See also: Common mistakes in construction tenders.
- A letter of invitation to tender.
- The form of tender.
- Preliminaries: including pre-construction information and site waste management plan (if required).
- The form of contract, contract conditions and amendments. This might include a model enabling amendment for building information modelling (BIM), making a BIM protocol a contractual document.
- A tender pricing document (or contract sum analysis on design and build projects).
- Employer's information requirements for BIM.
- Design drawings, and perhaps an existing building information model.
- Tender return slip.
Copies of the tender documentation should be kept for records.
See also: Things to avoid when tendering.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Invitation to tender for construction contracts
- Form of tender
- Typical tender process for construction projects
- Specification for construction
- Tender pricing document
- How to prepare tender documents
- Tender processes for construction contracts
- Construction contract
- Preliminaries in construction
- Design drawings
- Bill of quantities BOQ
- Construction contract conditions
- Main contract.
- Employer's information requirements EIR
- Contract documents for construction
- Pre-construction information
- Tender works programme
- Pre-tender estimate for contracts
- Construction work packaging
- Bid writer
 External references
Featured articles and news
New Wiki site is set to make BIM mainstream.
The various types and everything else.
Building legislation and guidance updates.
Designing offices to benefit employee performance.
And the award winners for 2019 are...
Articles of agreement
Guidance for local authorities and consultancies setting planning conditions.
A real deal – at last?
How does anastylosis help in the reconstructing of ancient monuments?
More than just aesthetic and historic values and meanings.