- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 02 Nov 2021
Tender documentation for construction projects
Ideally, tender documents should be broken down into a series of packages (even if there will only be one main contract) each with its own design drawings and specifications suitable to be issued by the main contractor to potential sub-contractors. This makes the tender easier for the contractor to price and easier for the client to compare with other tenderers.
It is important, when this is done, to ensure that the interfaces between packages are properly identified and clearly allocated to one package or another. Having too many packages increases the number of interfaces and so the potential problems. The cost plan (pre-tender estimate) should also be re-assembled package by package to allow easy appraisal of tenders received.
See also: Common mistakes in construction tenders.
Tenders documents may include:
- A letter of invitation to tender.
- The form of tender.
- Preliminaries: including pre-construction information and site waste management plan (if required).
- The form of contract, contract conditions and amendments. This might include a model enabling amendment for building information modelling (BIM), making a BIM protocol a contractual document.
- A tender pricing document (or contract sum analysis on design and build projects).
- Employer's information requirements for BIM.
- Design drawings, and perhaps an existing building information model.
- Tender return slip.
See also: Things to avoid when tendering.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Invitation to tender for construction contracts
- Form of tender
- Typical tender process for construction projects
- Specification for construction
- Tender pricing document
- How to prepare tender documents
- Tender processes for construction contracts
- Construction contract
- Preliminaries in construction
- Design drawings
- Bill of quantities BOQ
- Construction contract conditions
- Main contract.
- Employer's information requirements EIR
- Contract documents for construction
- Pre-construction information
- Tender submission.
- Tender works programme
- Pre qualification questionnaires and PAS 91.
- Pre-tender estimate for contracts
- Construction work packaging
- Bid writer
 External references
Featured articles and news
A national valuation to fund old-age pensions.
The world’s largest Commonwealth memorial to the missing.
Long after the end of the defects liability period.
Occupant satisfaction and wellbeing in buildings.
From the simple to the complex.
And the UK Government guidelines.
Commitment agreed to by major built environment bodies.
Electrical skills, low carbon, high-tech and the building services revolution.
Ultra-deep drilling with millimeter-wave beam technology.
Looking at the built environment from space.
BSI standards 8671, 8672 and 8673.
Bringing life to burial grounds.
From failed modernism to twenty-minute neighbourhoods.
The gates process and change control.
Why people behave as they do. APM book.