Form of tender
A tender is a submission made by a prospective supplier in response to an invitation to tender. It makes an offer for the supply of goods or services. An invitation to tender might be issued for a range of contracts, including; equipment supply, the main construction contract (perhaps including design by the contractor), demolition, enabling works and so on.
An invitation to tender might include:
- A letter of invitation to tender.
- The form of tender.
- The form of contract.
- A tender pricing document.
- A drawing schedule.
- Design drawings.
The form of tender is prepared by the client or their consultants and completed and signed by the tenderer. It is a formal acknowledgment that the tenderer understands and accepts the terms of conditions of the tender documents and any other requirements that are stipulated.
Items that might be appear on a form of tender could include:
- Latest return time and date.
- Date, name and address.
- Tender reference number.
- The price for which they are to do the works and any adjustments prices that have been agreed should the scope of the work or period of time change (or a reference to documents providing this information).
- The date until which the price remains valid.
- The period of time that is allocated for the works, or an actual completion date if required.
- Acceptance of terms and conditions.
- Confirmation of the country’s law that will govern the contract.
- References to other documents containing information.
- Any qualifications that apply.
- Who will bear the costs of preparing the tender.
- Any alternative proposals (or a reference to documents providing this information).
- Confirmation of the tender being genuine and bona fide.
- Signature and tenderer details.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Bid strategies.
- Contract documents for construction.
- Construction contract.
- Contract conditions.
- Contract engrossment.
- Contract execution.
- Contractual documents.
- Negotiated contract.
- Schedules of work.
- Tender documents.
- Tender negotiations.
- Tender processes.
- Tender settlement meeting.
 External references
- Felp - Sample form tender
Featured articles and news
It was the tallest structure in the world for 3,800 years, but to this day the exact construction techniques are a mystery.
Shortlist for the industry's most coveted award announced.
Government responds to Mark Farmer's review of industry, rejecting the call for a levy on clients.
Peter Hansford to examine what wider lessons can be learned from the fire.
Every project is subject to uncertainty. How can construction better understand uncertainty for performance improvement?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a futuristic campus for electric car manufacturer.
Homebuyers could borrow more with better forecasting of energy bills, according to industry consortium's new report.
Read our introductory article on carbon capture and storage.
Have a look at Frank Gehry's Binoculars Building in Los Angeles.
BRE publish new Loss Prevention Standard seeking to minimise fire risk from ducting.
How do we tell which infrastructure projects will work?
CIAT announce the establishment of a Working Group in light of Grenfell and call for contributions.
In 1900, 15% of global population lived in cities. Now it’s over 50%. Which is why we need ‘hydroinformatics’ to consume smarter.
Have a look at these competition-winning designs for a new residential development in Eindhoven.