- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 13 Feb 2018
Form of tender
A tender is a submission made by a prospective supplier in response to an invitation to tender. It makes an offer for the supply of goods or services. An invitation to tender might be issued for a range of contracts, including; equipment supply, the main construction contract (perhaps including design by the contractor), demolition, enabling works and so on.
An invitation to tender might include:
- A letter of invitation to tender.
- The form of tender.
- The form of contract.
- A tender pricing document.
- A drawing schedule.
- Design drawings.
The form of tender is prepared by the client or their consultants and completed and signed by the tenderer. It is a formal acknowledgment that the tenderer understands and accepts the terms of conditions of the tender documents and any other requirements that are stipulated.
Items that might be appear on a form of tender could include:
- Latest return time and date.
- Date, name and address.
- Tender reference number.
- The price for which they are to do the works and any adjustments prices that have been agreed should the scope of the work or period of time change (or a reference to documents providing this information).
- The date until which the price remains valid.
- The period of time that is allocated for the works, or an actual completion date if required.
- Acceptance of terms and conditions.
- Confirmation of the country’s law that will govern the contract.
- References to other documents containing information.
- Any qualifications that apply.
- Who will bear the costs of preparing the tender.
- Any alternative proposals (or a reference to documents providing this information).
- Confirmation of the tender being genuine and bona fide.
- Signature and tenderer details.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Bid strategies.
- Contract documents for construction.
- Construction contract.
- Contract conditions.
- Contract engrossment.
- Contract execution.
- Contractual documents.
- Negotiated contract.
- Schedules of work.
- Tender documents.
- Tender negotiations.
- Tender processes.
- Tender settlement meeting.
 External references
- Felp - Sample form tender
Featured articles and news
Matt Rhodes, Quiss Technology, explains how an increasing number are falling victim to sophisticated cyber-attacks.
Assembly drawings represent items that consist of more than one component and show how they fit together.
Is the water sector under too much pressure from the regulator?
Everything you need to know about acoustics in under 800 words.
Check out our list of the 90 most unusual buildings of all time.
The government is to set a personal consumption target to reduce water use.
BSRIA calls for more education to promote fuels that are fit to burn.
Michael Gove admits air pollution is making people ill and shortening lives.
BRE call for a clearer, focused drive for the delivery of sustainable, quality developments.
Proposals for a 140m high observation wheel next to the Tyne.
Consistently one of our most popular articles - so just how much do you know about BoQ's?