- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Sep 2020
This article lists the documents that are commonly required by or referred to in a construction contract. See also Contract documents for a list of the documents setting out the obligations and responsibilities of the parties to the contract on a traditionally-procured, fully-designed construction project,
In some cases, different contracts may use different names for the same document. Where this is the case, alternative names are shown.
- Application for payment (see Fair payment practices)
- Architect's instruction / contract administrator's instruction
- Bill of quantities
- Building log book
- Building owner's manual / operation and maintenance manual (O&M manual)
- Building users guide
- Certificate of making good defects / certificate of making good
- Collateral warranty
- Construction phase plan
- Contract sum analysis
- Contractors master programme
- Contractors proposals
- Default payment notice (see Fair payment practices)
- Contract drawings
- Design documents
- Employers requirements
- Final account
- Final certificate
- Health and safety file
- Information release schedule
- Interim certificate
- Joint fire code
- Method statement
- Pay less notice (see Fair payment practices)
- Payment notice (see Fair payment practices)
- Practical completion certificate / substantial completion certificate
- Risk assessment
- Schedule of defects
- Schedule of work
- Site waste management plan
NB: A pre-contract meeting is likely to take place after the contractor has been appointed but before work commences on site. This is an opportunity to for the project team to meet (perhaps for the first time) and to plan the construction stage. The minutes of the pre-contract meeting may form part of contract documents (for all procurement routes) subject to the agreement of both parties.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Bills of quantities.
- Construction contract.
- Contract conditions.
- Contract documents.
- Contractors proposals.
- Contract sum analysis.
- Employers requirements.
- Form of tender.
- Information release schedule.
- Performance bond.
- Pre-contract meeting.
- Procurement route.
- Schedules of work.
- Tender documents.
Featured articles and news
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.