- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Mar 2020
This article lists the documents that are commonly required by or referred to in a construction contract. See also Contract documents for a list of the documents setting out the obligations and responsibilities of the parties to the contract on a traditionally-procured, fully-designed construction project,
- Application for payment (see Fair payment practices)
- Architect's instruction / contract administrator's instruction
- Bill of quantities
- Building log book
- Building owner's manual / operation and maintenance manual (O&M manual)
- Building users guide
- Certificate of making good defects / certificate of making good
- Collateral warranty
- Construction phase plan
- Contract sum analysis
- Contractors master programme
- Contractors proposals
- Default payment notice (see Fair payment practices)
- Contract drawings
- Design documents
- Employers requirements
- Final account
- Final certificate
- Health and safety file
- Information release schedule
- Interim certificate
- Joint fire code
- Method statement
- Pay less notice (see Fair payment practices)
- Payment notice (see Fair payment practices)
- Practical completion certificate / substantial completion certificate
- Risk assessment
- Schedule of defects
- Schedule of work
- Site waste management plan
NB: A pre-contract meeting is likely to take place after the contractor has been appointed but before work commences on site. This is an opportunity to for the project team to meet (perhaps for the first time) and to plan the construction stage. The minutes of the pre-contract meeting may form part of contract documents (for all procurement routes) subject to the agreement of both parties.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Bills of quantities.
- Construction contract.
- Contract conditions.
- Contract documents.
- Contractors proposals.
- Contract sum analysis.
- Employers requirements.
- Form of tender.
- Information release schedule.
- Performance bond.
- Pre-contract meeting.
- Procurement route.
- Schedules of work.
- Tender documents.
Featured articles and news
Cutting-edge tech pairs with building management systems.
BSRIA updates its assessment of the industry.
What happens when it all goes wrong?
Input being gathered by CIOB.
Changes proposed for MHCLG consultation on house building statistics.
Full of passion and acerbic wit. 1 min book review.
Reminding us what is possible.
Five signs you are at risk.
Biotechnology as it applies to the built environment.
Stopping sound coming through windows.
Government response to the Building a Safer Future consultation.
Energy savings quickly payback any small additional capital investment.
Overbuild and air-space developments.