- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 03 Feb 2021
Finding local plumbers and gas fitters
Plumbing is a specialist trade within the building, and construction industry that requires expertise, workmanship by plumbers and gas fitters. The distribution of hot and cold water, and gas throughout buildings, whether they are domestic or commercial, is an essential service that involves the fitting of pipes, valves, taps, temperature control systems, and liquid waste disposal systems.
The role of the plumber is to install, and maintain plumbing systems to health and safety standards for the supply of water, and gas from mains outlets to the consumer. The supply of plumbing is a vital part of the building and renovation of kitchens, bathrooms, gardens, heating and cooling systems, wherever access to water, and gas is required.
A plumber is not only required to fit plumbing to new buildings, and construction projects, but also to repair damaged, corroded or malfunctioning plumbing systems. In the event of gas leaks, water leaks, blocked pipes or overflow, a plumber will be called upon to repair the system, and return it to a safe and functioning state. When plumbing systems fail, an emergency situation can occur, particularly in the case of leaking gas, water overflow or sewerage blockage, and overflow. Most plumbers offer a 24 hour on-call service for emergency situations.
- Installation of new pipes, sinks, or tubs;
- Septic tank leak testing, and repairs;
- Gas appliance installation, conversions, repairs, and maintenance;
- Gas bottle installation including regulators, changeover valves, pigtails, and gas lines;
- Installation, and repairs of gas flue pipes; *
- Installation of gas meters, valves, and associated pipe work;
- Water heater repairs.
1. Local Recommendations
2. Plumbers Directory
A plumbers' directory can help you make the right choices regarding plumbing and gas fitting services. Using a plumbers' directory can help you find the best 24/7 emergency plumbing, searching by your post code.
3. Other Professionals
4. Online Recommendation Services
Online recommendation hubs can help find services in your local area. There are a number of different sites, all of which work by providing a transparent space for customers to post jobs or traders to advertise their services.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Air conditioning.
- Building Automation and Control System BACS.
- Building energy management systems BEMS.
- Building management systems.
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Cooling systems for buildings.
- Electrical control systems.
- Energy management and building controls.
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing MEP.
- Mechanical ventilation.
- Natural ventilation.
- Point Cloud modeling considerations for M&E in refurbishment projects.
- Thermal comfort.
Featured articles and news
Study examines how adjustable arrangements can succeed.
Government announces plans to improve accessibility.
Resource addresses pandemic-related NEC4 contract issues.
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.
Plan stresses local involvement in city, town and village development.
Environment Agency publishes BAT guidance.