- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Aug 2017
Finding local plumbers and gas fitters
Plumbing is a specialist trade within the building, and construction industry that requires expertise, workmanship by plumbers and gas fitters. The distribution of hot and cold water, and gas throughout buildings, whether they are domestic or commercial, is an essential service that involves the fitting of pipes, valves, taps, temperature control systems, and liquid waste disposal systems.
The role of the plumber is to install, and maintain plumbing systems to health and safety standards for the supply of water, and gas from mains outlets to the consumer. The supply of plumbing is a vital part of the building and renovation of kitchens, bathrooms, gardens, heating and cooling systems, wherever access to water, and gas is required.
A plumber is not only required to fit plumbing to new buildings, and construction projects, but also to repair damaged, corroded or malfunctioning plumbing systems. In the event of gas leaks, water leaks, blocked pipes or overflow, a plumber will be called upon to repair the system, and return it to a safe and functioning state. When plumbing systems fail, an emergency situation can occur, particularly in the case of leaking gas, water overflow or sewerage blockage, and overflow. Most plumbers offer a 24 hour on-call service for emergency situations.
Plumbers and gas fitters roles include:
- Installation of new pipes, sinks, or tubs;
- Septic tank leak testing, and repairs;
- Gas appliance installation, conversions, repairs, and maintenance;
- Gas bottle installation including regulators, changeover valves, pigtails, and gas lines;
- Installation, and repairs of gas flue pipes; *
- Installation of gas meters, valves, and associated pipe work;
- Water heater repairs.
Some best way to find gas plumbers include:
1. Local Recommendations
2. Plumbers Directory
A plumbers' directory can help you make the right choices regarding plumbing and gas fitting services. Using a plumbers' directory can help you find the best 24/7 emergency plumbing, searching by your post code.
3. Other Professionals
4. Online Recommendation Services
Online recommendation hubs can help find services in your local area. There are a number of different sites, all of which work by providing a transparent space for customers to post jobs or traders to advertise their services.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Air conditioning.
- Building Automation and Control System BACS.
- Building energy management systems BEMS.
- Building management systems.
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Cooling systems for buildings.
- Electrical control systems.
- Energy management and building controls.
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing MEP.
- Mechanical ventilation.
- Natural ventilation.
- Point Cloud modeling considerations for M&E in refurbishment projects.
- Thermal comfort.
Featured articles and news
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Do you understand the different types of stone and which ones you should use where?
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.
Book review: Buildings of protestant nonconformity.
Design and testing for health and wellbeing - free download from BRE.
Retention in construction contracts.
Campaign for the reform of cash retentions.
The key points for the construction industry and BSRIA's response.