- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 03 Feb 2021
Finding local plumbers and gas fitters
Plumbing is a specialist trade within the building, and construction industry that requires expertise, workmanship by plumbers and gas fitters. The distribution of hot and cold water, and gas throughout buildings, whether they are domestic or commercial, is an essential service that involves the fitting of pipes, valves, taps, temperature control systems, and liquid waste disposal systems.
The role of the plumber is to install, and maintain plumbing systems to health and safety standards for the supply of water, and gas from mains outlets to the consumer. The supply of plumbing is a vital part of the building and renovation of kitchens, bathrooms, gardens, heating and cooling systems, wherever access to water, and gas is required.
A plumber is not only required to fit plumbing to new buildings, and construction projects, but also to repair damaged, corroded or malfunctioning plumbing systems. In the event of gas leaks, water leaks, blocked pipes or overflow, a plumber will be called upon to repair the system, and return it to a safe and functioning state. When plumbing systems fail, an emergency situation can occur, particularly in the case of leaking gas, water overflow or sewerage blockage, and overflow. Most plumbers offer a 24 hour on-call service for emergency situations.
- Installation of new pipes, sinks, or tubs;
- Septic tank leak testing, and repairs;
- Gas appliance installation, conversions, repairs, and maintenance;
- Gas bottle installation including regulators, changeover valves, pigtails, and gas lines;
- Installation, and repairs of gas flue pipes; *
- Installation of gas meters, valves, and associated pipe work;
- Water heater repairs.
1. Local Recommendations
2. Plumbers Directory
A plumbers' directory can help you make the right choices regarding plumbing and gas fitting services. Using a plumbers' directory can help you find the best 24/7 emergency plumbing, searching by your post code.
3. Other Professionals
Online recommendation hubs can help find services in your local area. There are a number of different sites, all of which work by providing a transparent space for customers to post jobs or traders to advertise their services.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Air conditioning.
- Building Automation and Control System BACS.
- Building energy management systems BEMS.
- Building management systems.
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Cooling systems for buildings.
- Electrical control systems.
- Energy management and building controls.
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing MEP.
- Mechanical ventilation.
- Natural ventilation.
- Point Cloud modeling considerations for M&E in refurbishment projects.
- Thermal comfort.
Featured articles and news
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.
The Great Transformation 1860–1920. Book review.
Including the devolved governments, CIOB, ECA, APM and IHBC.
AT awards small to medium size project category winner.
Formal and informal adaptive re-use or new use of buildings.
Temperatures hit new highs, yet world fails to cut emissions (again).