- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 13 Dec 2021
- A tap that when turned opens a valve to release pressurised water.
- A toilet that when flushed opens two valves – one that allows water to escape, and another that refills the toilet with more water.
- A gas cooker hob that opens a valve to allow more gas to increase the flame size.
An automated or manual mechanism is used to open and close valves. For high-pressure flow pipework, opening and closing manually can be physically difficult, often requiring a long lever or large wheel. Big valves can be operated using hydraulic rams.
There are several different types of valves, including:
- Ball valve: A hollowed-out ball sits inside a pipe obstructing the flow and swivelling through 90-degrees when turned.
- Butterfly valve: A disc sits inside a pipe and swivels sideways or upright.
- Cock or plug: A cone-shaped plug moves to one side when a wheel or handle is turned.
- Gate or sluice: Metal gates are lowered across pipes, usually only capable of being fully open or fully closed.
- Globe: When turned a valve is screwed in, such as with a tap.
- Needle: A long, sliding needle regulates fluid flow, such as in central heating systems.
- Spool: Valves slide backwards and forwards to direct fluid flow around a pipe circuit, such as in hydraulic systems.
- A guide to installing thermostatic mixing valves: what, why and how.
- BSRIA announces 2021 European HVAC field device study.
- BSRIA publishes new edition of BG29.
- BSRIA study: The market for European Field Devices.
- Closed Systems Control Association.
- Differential pressure control valve.
- Flow characteristics.
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing MEP.
- Pipework defects, ventilation and airflow rates.
- Pressure independent control valves.
- Pressure-relief valve.
- Pumps and dewatering equipment.
- Thermostatic mixing valve.
- Types of valve.
- Water hammer.
- What makes a good PICV?
Featured articles and news
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.