- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Apr 2021
BSRIA publishes new edition of BG29
Pre-commission cleaning is the process of bringing a closed heating or cooling system to a satisfactory state for commissioning and ongoing maintenance of water quality. System contaminants such as mill scale, jointing compound and building debris will inevitably be found in newly fabricated heating and cooling pipework systems. If allowed to remain in the system in sufficient quality, these contaminants will make the system prone to blockages at strainers, control valves and small-bore heat exchangers. They may also initiate further corrosion and encourage the growth of microorganisms.
Originally published in 1991, BG29 is essential reading for any company operating in the water management area. Providing clear and concise guidance, the publication has become a de facto standard within the industry.
- Cleaning precautions for thin-walled carbon steel pipes,
- Closed-loop pre-treatment cleaning (CPC) procedures,
- Pre-treatment options described in German directive VDI 2035,
- Corrosion monitoring solutions,
- Heat networks and low carbon systems.
March 2021 update
In March 2021, BSRIA published an amended version of BG29/2021: Pre-Commission Cleaning of Pipework Systems.This update takes into consideration various feedback received by the users of the previous version which was published in April 2020.
This amended version includes changes such as:
- Minor amendments to the system schematics and associated notes.
- Additional flexibility with respect to laboratory test methods.
- Clarification regarding systems with corrosion monitoring.
- Revised guidance regarding air venting at terminal units.
- Revised guidance regarding circulation.
- Revised guidance regarding heating to improve cleaning effectiveness.
- Revised guidance regarding temporary pumps.
- Expanded guidance to cover a wider range of non-UK guidelines.
This article originally appeared on the BSRIA website as BSRIA publishes new edition of BG29: Pre-Commission Cleaning of Pipework Systems on 30 April 2020.
- BSRIA articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Chilled water.
- Closed Systems Control Association.
- Corrosion in heating and cooling systems.
- Domestic ventilation systems performance.
- Differential pressure control valve.
- Flow characteristics.
- Pressure independent control valves.
- Indoor air quality.
- What makes a good PICV?
Featured articles and news
So why not write something?
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.