- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Apr 2021
BSRIA publishes new edition of BG29
Pre-commission cleaning is the process of bringing a closed heating or cooling system to a satisfactory state for commissioning and ongoing maintenance of water quality. System contaminants such as mill scale, jointing compound and building debris will inevitably be found in newly fabricated heating and cooling pipework systems. If allowed to remain in the system in sufficient quality, these contaminants will make the system prone to blockages at strainers, control valves and small-bore heat exchangers. They may also initiate further corrosion and encourage the growth of microorganisms.
Originally published in 1991, BG29 is essential reading for any company operating in the water management area. Providing clear and concise guidance, the publication has become a de facto standard within the industry.
- Cleaning precautions for thin-walled carbon steel pipes,
- Closed-loop pre-treatment cleaning (CPC) procedures,
- Pre-treatment options described in German directive VDI 2035,
- Corrosion monitoring solutions,
- Heat networks and low carbon systems.
March 2021 update
In March 2021, BSRIA published an amended version of BG29/2021: Pre-Commission Cleaning of Pipework Systems.This update takes into consideration various feedback received by the users of the previous version which was published in April 2020.
This amended version includes changes such as:
- Minor amendments to the system schematics and associated notes.
- Additional flexibility with respect to laboratory test methods.
- Clarification regarding systems with corrosion monitoring.
- Revised guidance regarding air venting at terminal units.
- Revised guidance regarding circulation.
- Revised guidance regarding heating to improve cleaning effectiveness.
- Revised guidance regarding temporary pumps.
- Expanded guidance to cover a wider range of non-UK guidelines.
This article originally appeared on the BSRIA website as BSRIA publishes new edition of BG29: Pre-Commission Cleaning of Pipework Systems on 30 April 2020.
- BSRIA articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Chilled water.
- Closed Systems Control Association.
- Corrosion in heating and cooling systems.
- Domestic ventilation systems performance.
- Differential pressure control valve.
- Flow characteristics.
- Pressure independent control valves.
- Indoor air quality.
- What makes a good PICV?
Featured articles and news
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.