- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 21 Jun 2022
- A code of conduct might be a generally accepted instruction for how to behave personally or professionally.
- A code of practice might be a generally accepted instruction for how an organisation or individual practices their profession.
- Computer code is a set of instructions for a computer, for which there are many variations.
- A criminal code (or penal code) is a collection of documents that relate to criminal law.
- Morse code is a known system of signals, letters or symbols used for sending messages - a secret code is the same where the system is withheld.
- A genetic code is a set of set of three-letter combinations that express how Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and Ribonucleic acid (RNA) molecules carry genetic information in living cells.
- A post or zip code describes the location of a street, part of street, single address, or group of properties.
- A design code might be a set of design criteria or design parameters that should be followed in the design and planning of for example the built environment.
- A building code might be a set of rules that specify standards for the construction of buildings.
Many other examples and references to codes and theories exist throughout history and within the modern context. Some significant ones in history include hieroglyphics, Caesar shift, the De Vinci code, Alberti’s disk, the Shugborough inscription or the Vigenère square. In a more modern context codes such as boring, salt mine and radioactive might be referred to in programming design.
In the context of the design and construction of buildings, professional codes of conduct and practice, postcodes, design codes and building codes may perhaps be the most relevant, whilst the increased computerisation of the building design, construction and servicing industries mean computer coding is of increasing relevance to the sector.
- Building codes.
- Building regulations.
- Consultation opens for code of practice for fire risk appraisal and assessment of external wall construction.
- Design review.
- Design code.
- Future Homes Standard.
- National Model Design Code.
- National planning policy framework NPPF.
- International Building Code (IBC).
- International Code Council ICC.
- International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- International Residential Code (IRC).
- International Zoning Code (IZC).
- High-tech architecture.
- Performance specification.
- Planning permission.
- Structural engineering codes.
- Meaning of smart in the construction industry.
- The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety.
- What approvals are needed before construction begins.
- Zoning in the United States.
Featured articles and news
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Why building acoustic considerations must be non-negotiable.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC
Designing Buildings is 10 years old.
From alteration to deconstruction on DB.
Changes come into force for F,L,O and S.