- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 May 2020
The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety
BRE’s Information Paper, The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety (IP 5/16) was written by Sarah Colwell and published by IHS on 7 September 2016.
New and emerging markets bring with them an increasing need to demonstrate compliance with a wide range of codes and standards, and this has the potential to cause confusion between the performance of products when tested and the evidence needed to meet different local requirements.
This Information Paper:
- Identifies the processes used to test and approve fire suppression products.
- Discusses the risks of assuming compatibility between different codes and standards.
- Considers the differences between the types of documentary evidence used to support products in the form of test reports compared with third-party certification.
- Discusses the importance of the appropriate design, installation and maintenance of systems, with possibilities for mitigating risks for the building owner or occupier.
Its contents include:
- Which building codes?
- Selection of design and installation standards.
- Product performance standards.
- CE marking and third-party approval.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved document B.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BS 9999.
- BS EN 13501-1.
- Building Research Establishment.
- CE marking
- Code of practice.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire detector.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Fire protection engineering.
- Fire safety design.
- Fire safety officer.
- Ionisation smoke alarm.
- Joint fire code.
- Managing fire risk in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers.
- Optical smoke alarm.
- Smoke detector.
- The causes of false fire alarms in buildings.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
Featured articles and news
New low and high tech tools enter the marketplace.
Report looks at mental health in the built environment.
Radiant wall heating method to control rising damp.
What future infrastructure provision might look like.
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.
Traditional low-energy approaches to comfort.
Revisiting the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet in Ashford.