- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Sep 2017
The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety
BRE’s Information Paper, The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety (IP 5/16) was written by Sarah Colwell and published by IHS on 7 September 2016.
New and emerging markets bring with them an increasing need to demonstrate compliance with a wide range of codes and standards, and this has the potential to cause confusion between the performance of products when tested and the evidence needed to meet different local requirements.
This Information Paper:
- Identifies the processes used to test and approve fire suppression products.
- Discusses the risks of assuming compatibility between different codes and standards.
- Considers the differences between the types of documentary evidence used to support products in the form of test reports compared with third-party certification.
- Discusses the importance of the appropriate design, installation and maintenance of systems, with possibilities for mitigating risks for the building owner or occupier.
Its contents include:
- Which building codes?
- Selection of design and installation standards.
- Product performance standards.
- CE marking and third-party approval.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved document B.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BS 9999.
- Building Research Establishment.
- CE marking
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire detector.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Fire protection engineering.
- Fire safety design.
- Fire safety officer.
- Ionisation smoke alarm.
- Joint fire code.
- Managing fire risk in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers.
- Optical smoke alarm.
- Smoke detector.
- The causes of false fire alarms in buildings.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
Featured articles and news
What benefits does BIM bring to construction projects?
New Wiki site is set to make BIM mainstream.
And the award winners for 2019 are...
Articles of agreement
Guidance for local authorities and consultancies setting planning conditions.
A real deal – at last?
How does anastylosis help in the reconstructing of ancient monuments?
More than just aesthetic and historic values and meanings.
An exciting and novel collaboration between the RIBA and the SPAB.
Republic of Ireland updates to planning and development.
The different types of pile foundation.
Achieving a net-zero carbon UK by 2050.