- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 28 Apr 2021
The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety
BRE’s Information Paper, The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety (IP 5/16) was written by Sarah Colwell and published by IHS on 7 September 2016.
New and emerging markets bring with them an increasing need to demonstrate compliance with a wide range of codes and standards, and this has the potential to cause confusion between the performance of products when tested and the evidence needed to meet different local requirements.
This Information Paper:
- Identifies the processes used to test and approve fire suppression products.
- Discusses the risks of assuming compatibility between different codes and standards.
- Considers the differences between the types of documentary evidence used to support products in the form of test reports compared with third-party certification.
- Discusses the importance of the appropriate design, installation and maintenance of systems, with possibilities for mitigating risks for the building owner or occupier.
Its contents include:
- Which building codes?
- Selection of design and installation standards.
- Product performance standards.
- CE marking and third-party approval.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved document B.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BS EN 3.
- BS 7974.
- BS 9999.
- BS EN 13501-1.
- Building Research Establishment.
- CE marking
- Code of practice.
- Common principles of International Fire Safety Standard introduced.
- Consultation opens for code of practice for fire risk appraisal and assessment of external wall construction.
- Fire blanket.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire detector.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Fire protection engineering.
- Fire safety design.
- Fire safety officer.
- Ionisation smoke alarm.
- Joint fire code.
- Managing fire risk in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers.
- Optical smoke alarm.
- Smoke detector.
- The causes of false fire alarms in buildings.
- UN approves International Fire Safety Standards common principles.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
Featured articles and news
The daylighting and ventilation opportunities of new rooflight solutions.
Traditional materials adapted for strict fire safety requirements.
IHBC's event offers educational sessions to support attendee CPD.
Prone to noise and drafts, this flooring method can have some benefits.
The influence of digital technologies on conservation.
Tips for civil engineers and other construction professionals.
Updated credential recognition regulations introduced.
New disciplines that are worth keeping.
IHBC members encouraged to update violations database.
Non-obtrusive security sensors can help deter intruders.
Adopting a fabric first approach to efficiency.
Government emphasises training for construction and engineering trades.
ECA and SELECT offer assistance to members set back by delays.