- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 Feb 2023
BS EN 3
The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). It publishes standards and provides a range of books, self-assessment tools, conferences and training services. It also represents UK economic and social interests in European and international standards organisations.
BS EN 3 is a standard for portable fire extinguishers. All fire extinguishers manufactured in the UK (and Europe) must comply with this standard, which was originally published in 1996. When it was released, it replaced BS 5423:1987, which was withdrawn in 1997.
- Part 1:1996 Portable fire extinguishers. Description, duration of operation, class A and B fire test. Withdrawn and replaced by Part 7.
- Part 2:1996 Portable fire extinguishers. Tightness, dielectric test, tamping test, special provisions. Withdrawn and replaced by Part 7.
- Part 3:1996 Portable fire extinguishers. Construction, resistance to pressure, mechanical tests. Withdrawn and replaced by Parts 8 and 9.
- Part 4:1996 Portable fire extinguishers. Charges, minimum required fire. Withdrawn and replaced by Part 7.
- Part 5:1996 Portable fire extinguishers. Specification and supplementary tests. Withdrawn and replaced by Part 7.
- Part 6:1996 Portable fire extinguishers. Provisions for the attestation of conformity of portable fire extinguishers in accordance with BS EN 3 Part 1 to Part 5. Withdrawn and replaced by Part 10.
- Part 7:1996:2004+A1:2007 Portable fire extinguishers. Characteristics, performance requirements and test methods. This also replaces BS 7937:2000, Specification for portable fire extinguishers for use on cooking oil fires (class F), which was withdrawn on 30 April 2008.
- Part 8:2006 Portable fire extinguishers. Additional requirements to BS EN 3-7 for the construction, resistance to pressure and mechanical tests for extinguishers with a maximum allowable pressure equal to or lower than 30 bar.
- Part 9:2006 Portable fire extinguishers. Additional requirements to BS EN 3-7 for pressure resistance of CO2 extinguishers.
- Part 10:2009 Portable fire extinguishers. Provisions for evaluating the conformity of a portable fire extinguisher to BS EN 3-7.
BS EN 3 sets the minimum uniform production - including quality levels - of portable fire extinguishers based on BS EN 3-7. It sets out the documentation requirements for details, including identification of key producers/manufacturers, identification of the extinguisher and related documents, CE markings, toxicology information and so on. It also provides details on testing, assessments and controls put in place during production.
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS 9999: Code of practice for fire safety in the design, management and use of buildings.
- BS EN 13501-1.
- CE marking in the construction industry.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Fire in buildings.
- The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety.
Featured articles and news
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.
The Great Transformation 1860–1920. Book review.
Including the devolved governments, CIOB, ECA, APM and IHBC.
AT awards small to medium size project category winner.
Formal and informal adaptive re-use or new use of buildings.
Temperatures hit new highs, yet world fails to cut emissions (again).
No longer enforcing certain waste transfer documentation.
Winners reactions during the event at the Park Plaza Hotel.
An exciting opportunity for stakeholders to collaborate.
Report from the BSRIA Briefing 2023, Cleaner Air, Better Tomorrow.