- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Oct 2020
Drenchers are a system of water heads that are used for the fire protection. In contrast to sprinklers which are found internally, drenchers are normally found on the exterior of a building to protect against a fire from a neighbouring building. They tend to be positioned on roofs and over windows and external openings.
- Water source.
- Pump unit.
- Distribution piping.
- Control fittings.
- Alarm device.
- Special nozzles or water head.
The three main types of drenchers are:
- Roof drenchers: Positioned on the roof ridge and throw a curtain of water upwards.
- Wall or curtain drenchers: Throw a curtain of water over openings or portions of a building most likely to admit fire.
- Window drenchers: Positioned horizontally level with the top of a window so as to protect the opening.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Business Sprinkler Alliance.
- Case study A for offices to show where automatic sprinklers have the greatest impact.
- Design benefits of automatic sprinkler systems granted under approved document B.
- External fire spread, Supplementary guidance to BR 187 incorporating probabilistic and time-based approaches.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire in buildings.
- Fire safety design.
- Making the case for sprinklers and dispelling myths.
- Sprinkler head.
- The impact of automatic sprinklers on building design.
Featured articles and news
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.