Skills and careers
Wanting to inspire the next generation into a career within the built environment? Do you wish when you started your career, the insider knowledge of career paths, occupation descriptions and entry level positions were more readily available?
Here we have created one place to provide content on the various career journeys into the sector from career paths, occupations descriptions and apprenticeship resources to help create a more inclusive, informed and connected sector.
Looking to find out more about apprenticeship opportunities, explore below.
- Apprenticeships come of age
- Apprenticeships levy.
- BSRIA call for more vocational training
- Construction apprentice earnings.
- Construction Industry Training Board CITB.
- EIC apprentice support programme.
- How to take on an apprentice (CCATF)
- Protection for apprenticeships.
- Sustainable Degree Apprenticeships
- Careers in the electrotechnical industry
- Getting into Architecture
- Go Construct
- How the built environment can unlock opportunities for skills
- What engineers really do for a living.
- Architectural Technology: AT Suite (CIAT)
- Architecture (Theory_Praxis_Design) | series
- Renewable Heating: Podcast series (BetaTalk)
Find detailed job descriptions for the wide range of jobs available in the Built Environment.
- Access consultant.
- Acoustic consultant.
- Approved inspector.
- Chartered environmentalist.
- Civil engineer.
- Clerk of works.
- Client design adviser.
- Client's representative.
- Construction manager.
- Consulting engineer.
- Contract administrator.
- Employer's agent.
- Employer's BIM adviser.
- Environmental consultant.
- Facilities manager.
- Fire engineering consultant.
- Furniture, fixtures and equipment (FF&E) consultant.
- Health and safety consultant.
- How to become a civil engineer
- How to become a construction manager
- How to become a quantity surveyor
- How to become an arbitrator
- How to become an architect
- How to become an engineer
- Information and communications technology (ICT) consultant.
- Interior designer.
- Landscape architect.
- Lighting designer.
- Local consultants.
- Management consultant.
- Management contractor.
- Party wall surveyor.
- Planning consultant.
- Programme consultant.
- Public health consultant.
- Rights of light surveyor.
- Security consultant.
- Site inspector.
- Specialist contractor.
- Structural waterproofing consultant.
- Traffic engineer.
- Wet trades.
Diversity, social value and skills
- Diversity and inclusion
- Skills and careers
- Social value
- Academic research
- A-Z of EDI: Definitions
- Building People 'Network of Networks'
- Building People platform
 Join in
Building People is bringing together the huge amount of resource that exists across the Built Environment industry, with a focus on diversity and inclusion, skills and careers, and social value.
We need your help to do this.
Have you got useful material to share? Do you know of information that would be helpful to others? If it is relevant to the Built Environment and to diversity, skills and social value, then it's relevant to others. Help them find it by using the guidelines below.
 Add your own content
- For guidance about writing and adding your own content see Get started - top tips and help.
- Some articles are more popular and useful than others. This article explains more.
- Make sure you use the right title as this helps search engines find it. See here for guidance.
- Add your signature to link readers to your profile.
- Tick the 'People' box when you submit the article - that way your content will appear in this Building People microsite.
- Finding it tricky? Contact us for assistance.