- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Apr 2017
Information and communications technology (ICT) consultant
Information Technology (IT) relates to technologies and equipment that can be used to store, retrieve, transmit and manipulate data. Information and Communications Technology (ICT) is a specialist application of Information Technology that includes some aspect of communication. This might relate to; software development, mobile devices, cloud computing, data centres, cyber security, research networks, support and so on.
An information and communications technology (ICT) consultant is a professional appointed to perform expert tasks related to ICT. ICT consultants can advise on the design, structure and efficiency of ICT systems in organisations or on specific projects. They may be required to produce business needs assessments and develop information systems solutions that meet the objectives of the organisation or project. Such needs might include connectivity, security, technical infrastructure issues, compliance with data protection, and so on.
Requirements might be relatively simple, or they might be technology-rich with very complex user needs, such as airports or hospitals.
- To provide external, objective advice and expertise.
- To provide recommendations on strategy, implementation, maintenance and organisation.
- For temporary assistance on a single project.
- To outsource all or part of the IT services from a specific company.
An ICT consultant will usually have a Bachelor’s degree in computer or information science, engineering or other computer-related field of study. Alternatively, they may have a business-related degree and a Master’s degree in a more ICT-related field.
- The ability to analyse complex data and computer systems.
- The ability to identify weaknesses, inefficiencies and threats to security.
- A creative approach to problem-solving.
- The ability to analyse and write code.
- Teamwork and leadership skills.
- The ability to present findings and recommendations effectively.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Everything you need to know about acoustics in under 800 words.
Check out our list of the 90 most unusual buildings of all time.
The government is to set a personal consumption target to reduce water use.
BSRIA calls for more education to promote fuels that are fit to burn.
Michael Gove admits air pollution is making people ill and shortening lives.
BRE call for a clearer, focused drive for the delivery of sustainable, quality developments.
Proposals for a 140m high observation wheel next to the Tyne.
Consistently one of our most popular articles - so just how much do you know about BoQ's?
Significant updates encourage whole building life cycle assessment and recognise products with Environmental Product Declarations.
Gustavo Giovannoni’s role in integrating modern planning requirements into historic town centres.