- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Apr 2017
Information and communications technology (ICT) consultant
Information Technology (IT) relates to technologies and equipment that can be used to store, retrieve, transmit and manipulate data. Information and Communications Technology (ICT) is a specialist application of Information Technology that includes some aspect of communication. This might relate to; software development, mobile devices, cloud computing, data centres, cyber security, research networks, support and so on.
An information and communications technology (ICT) consultant is a professional appointed to perform expert tasks related to ICT. ICT consultants can advise on the design, structure and efficiency of ICT systems in organisations or on specific projects. They may be required to produce business needs assessments and develop information systems solutions that meet the objectives of the organisation or project. Such needs might include connectivity, security, technical infrastructure issues, compliance with data protection, and so on.
- To provide external, objective advice and expertise.
- To provide recommendations on strategy, implementation, maintenance and organisation.
- For temporary assistance on a single project.
- To outsource all or part of the IT services from a specific company.
An ICT consultant will usually have a Bachelor’s degree in computer or information science, engineering or other computer-related field of study. Alternatively, they may have a business-related degree and a Master’s degree in a more ICT-related field.
- The ability to analyse complex data and computer systems.
- The ability to identify weaknesses, inefficiencies and threats to security.
- A creative approach to problem-solving.
- The ability to analyse and write code.
- Teamwork and leadership skills.
- The ability to present findings and recommendations effectively.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
A simple path to possible error avoidance.
Construction + technology = ConTech.
New low and high tech tools enter the marketplace.
Report looks at mental health in the built environment.
Radiant wall heating method to control rising damp.
What future infrastructure provision might look like.
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.