Site layout planning for daylight and sunlight
On 12 September 2011 BRE published Site layout planning for daylight and sunlight: a guide to good practice, (BR209) written by P Littlefair.
The 84 page guide provides advice on site layout planning, including:
- Achieving good sunlighting and daylighting within buildings and in the open spaces between them.
- Safeguarding daylight and sunlight within existing nearby buildings.
- Protecting daylighting of adjoining land for future development.
- Passive solar site layout.
- Sunlighting gardens and amenity areas.
- Privacy, enclosure, microclimate, road layout and security.
- Rights to light.
The appendices include methods for quantifying access to sunlight and daylight within a layout. A transparent direction finder is included to calculate access to skylight, sunlight and solar radiation. Sun-on-ground indicators (AP288), a set of 12 transparent indicators to predict the availability of sunlight on the ground at the equinox at three different latitudes in the UK can be purchased separately.
The guide is intended to be used in conjunction with BS 8206-2:2008 Lighting for buildings. Code of practice for daylighting during the planning and design stages in the UK and Ireland.
The contents of the guide include:
- Light from the sky.
- Solar energy.
- Other issues.
- References and bibliography.
- Indicators to calculate access to skylight, sunlight and solar radiation.
- Waldram diagram to calculate vertical sky component.
- Interior daylight recommendations.
- Plotting the no sky line.
- Rights to light.
- Setting alternative target values for skylight access.
- Calculation of sun on the ground.
- Calculations for trees and hedges.
- Environmental impact assessment.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 7 ways better lighting can improve your health.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Daylight factor.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- General lighting v task lighting.
- Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting.
- Light obstruction notice.
- Light pollution.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Passive building design.
- Right to light
- Site layout plan for construction.
- Site plan.
- Solar gain in buildings.
- Use of lighting to improve health and wellbeing.
Featured articles and news
A visually dramatic means of story-telling, large-scale murals can be an effective way to engage communities.
There were over 1,400 new articles added to Designing Buildings Wiki in 2016. Here are the top 15 most popular.
MVRDV reveal designs for a strange holiday villa in Taiwan.
New milestone achieved with launch of new safety lanyard for working from height.
A quick introductory article about preliminaries in construction.
Brandenburg Gate - an historic structure that went from symbolising German partition to European unity.
A discussion between construction key players and leading insurers on the future outlook for construction insurance.
New guide from BSRIA on building performance evaluation in domestic buildings.
Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners complete new trio of towers at Sydney Harbour.
With a new government consultation underway, ICE look at creating a smarter, more flexible energy system.
British Antarctic Survey announces research station is to relocate 23km due to growing crack in the ice shelf.