Site layout planning for daylight and sunlight
On 12 September 2011 BRE published Site layout planning for daylight and sunlight: a guide to good practice, (BR209) written by P Littlefair.
The 84 page guide provides advice on site layout planning, including:
- Achieving good sunlighting and daylighting within buildings and in the open spaces between them.
- Safeguarding daylight and sunlight within existing nearby buildings.
- Protecting daylighting of adjoining land for future development.
- Passive solar site layout.
- Sunlighting gardens and amenity areas.
- Privacy, enclosure, microclimate, road layout and security.
- Rights to light.
The appendices include methods for quantifying access to sunlight and daylight within a layout. A transparent direction finder is included to calculate access to skylight, sunlight and solar radiation. Sun-on-ground indicators (AP288), a set of 12 transparent indicators to predict the availability of sunlight on the ground at the equinox at three different latitudes in the UK can be purchased separately.
The guide is intended to be used in conjunction with BS 8206-2:2008 Lighting for buildings. Code of practice for daylighting during the planning and design stages in the UK and Ireland.
The contents of the guide include:
- Light from the sky.
- Solar energy.
- Other issues.
- References and bibliography.
- Indicators to calculate access to skylight, sunlight and solar radiation.
- Waldram diagram to calculate vertical sky component.
- Interior daylight recommendations.
- Plotting the no sky line.
- Rights to light.
- Setting alternative target values for skylight access.
- Calculation of sun on the ground.
- Calculations for trees and hedges.
- Environmental impact assessment.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 7 ways better lighting can improve your health.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Daylight factor.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- General lighting v task lighting.
- Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting.
- Light obstruction notice.
- Light pollution.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Passive building design.
- Right to light
- Site layout plan for construction.
- Site plan.
- Solar gain in buildings.
- Use of lighting to improve health and wellbeing.
Featured articles and news
We review a book aiming to unpick the complexities of building physics.
An introduction to the categories, procedures and types of listed buildings.
This Australian robotics firm have developed a bricklaying machine capable of building a house in 3 days.
20bn devices will be online by 2020, generating huge volumes of information. Is society making the most of this rich data?
Built over a period of 632 years, Cologne Cathedral is considered one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture.
UandI adds £1.5bn to development pipeline.
Here are 5 things leaders can do to create a truly circular economy.
Find out about the different types of delays on construction projects.
Researchers at Wien university have developed new system to create an inflatable concrete structure.
Take a look at this newly-opened tower in Chicago with a remarkable 20:1 height-to-base ratio.
The principles, practice and formwork of one of the most important components of modern architecture.