- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Jun 2017
Site layout planning for daylight and sunlight
On 12 September 2011 BRE published Site layout planning for daylight and sunlight: a guide to good practice, (BR209) written by P Littlefair.
The 84 page guide provides advice on site layout planning, including:
- Achieving good sunlighting and daylighting within buildings and in the open spaces between them.
- Safeguarding daylight and sunlight within existing nearby buildings.
- Protecting daylighting of adjoining land for future development.
- Passive solar site layout.
- Sunlighting gardens and amenity areas.
- Privacy, enclosure, microclimate, road layout and security.
- Rights to light.
The appendices include methods for quantifying access to sunlight and daylight within a layout. A transparent direction finder is included to calculate access to skylight, sunlight and solar radiation. Sun-on-ground indicators (AP288), a set of 12 transparent indicators to predict the availability of sunlight on the ground at the equinox at three different latitudes in the UK can be purchased separately.
The guide is intended to be used in conjunction with BS 8206-2:2008 Lighting for buildings. Code of practice for daylighting during the planning and design stages in the UK and Ireland.
The contents of the guide include:
- Light from the sky.
- Solar energy.
- Other issues.
- References and bibliography.
- Indicators to calculate access to skylight, sunlight and solar radiation.
- Waldram diagram to calculate vertical sky component.
- Interior daylight recommendations.
- Plotting the no sky line.
- Rights to light.
- Setting alternative target values for skylight access.
- Calculation of sun on the ground.
- Calculations for trees and hedges.
- Environmental impact assessment.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 7 ways better lighting can improve your health.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Daylight factor.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- General lighting v task lighting.
- Guiding light: Unlocking London's residential density.
- Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting.
- Light obstruction notice.
- Light pollution.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Passive building design.
- Right to light
- Site layout plan for construction.
- Site plan.
- Solar gain in buildings.
- Use of lighting to improve health and wellbeing.
Featured articles and news
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.