- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Feb 2019
- ISO 19650-1 Organization of information about construction works - Information management using building information modelling. Part 1: Concepts and principles.
- ISO 19650-2 Organization of information about construction works - Information management using building information modelling. Part 2: Delivery phase of assets.
The final version was published in January 2019, BS EN ISO 19650 1&2:2018, 'Organization and digitization of information about buildings and civil engineering works, including building information modelling (BIM). Information management using building information modelling'.
It applies to the whole life cycle of a built asset, including strategic planning, initial design, engineering, development, documentation and construction, day-to-day operation, maintenance, refurbishment, repair and end-of-life. Use of the standard will help remove barriers to collaborative working and competitive tendering across borders.
Jøns Sjøgren, chair of the ISO technical subcommittee that developed the standards siad; “ISO 19650 was developed on the basis of the tried-and-tested British standard BS 1192 and publicly available specification PAS 1192-2, which have already been shown to help users save up to 22 % in construction costs. Taking this to an international level not only means more effective collaboration on global projects, but allows designers and contractors working on all kinds of building works to have clearer and more efficient information management.”
Future additions are expected to include Part 3, about managing the operational phase of assets and Part 5, about security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management. Ref http://www.constructionmanagermagazine.com/news/new-international-bim-standard-launched/
For more information see BIM Plus, Overcoming overcomplicated barriers to ISO 19650 adoption. Feb 2019.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM articles.
- BIM standards.
- BIM resources.
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS 1192.
- BS 1192-4:2014.
- BS 8536-1:2015 Briefing for design and construction. Code of practice for facilities management (Buildings infrastructure).
- BS 8536-2:2016
- International Organisation for Standardisation ISO.
- PAS 1192-2
- PAS 1192-2 consultation.
- PAS 1192-3.
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management.
- PAS 1192-6.
Featured articles and news
Your chance to comment on the draft BS 851188 - flood resistance products and flood protection products.
Rebuilding could take 20 to 40 years.
RSHP’s high-rise residential towers win a tall buildings award for excellence.
BSRIA study reveals strong growth in 2018.
Dame Judith Hackitt confirmed as keynote speaker – one year on from the Hackitt Report.
Save £100 on tickets.
Modern slavery in the construction sector.
What to bear in mind when claiming damages in construction.
How do we achieve sustainable clean-water infrastructure for all?
What you should know when appointing an architect.
A brief history plus some new developments.
How computational fluid dynamics (CFD) helps building design.
The Hong Kong Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS).