- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Jan 2019
- ISO 19650-1 Organization of information about construction works - Information management using building information modelling. Part 1: Concepts and principles.
- ISO 19650-2 Organization of information about construction works - Information management using building information modelling. Part 2: Delivery phase of assets.
The final version was published in January 2019, BS EN ISO 19650 1&2:2018, 'Organization and digitization of information about buildings and civil engineering works, including building information modelling (BIM). Information management using building information modelling'.
It applies to the whole life cycle of a built asset, including strategic planning, initial design, engineering, development, documentation and construction, day-to-day operation, maintenance, refurbishment, repair and end-of-life. Use of the standard will help remove barriers to collaborative working and competitive tendering across borders.
Jøns Sjøgren, chair of the ISO technical subcommittee that developed the standards siad; “ISO 19650 was developed on the basis of the tried-and-tested British standard BS 1192 and publicly available specification PAS 1192-2, which have already been shown to help users save up to 22 % in construction costs. Taking this to an international level not only means more effective collaboration on global projects, but allows designers and contractors working on all kinds of building works to have clearer and more efficient information management.”
Future additions are expected to include Part 3, about managing the operational phase of assets and Part 5, about security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management. Ref http://www.constructionmanagermagazine.com/news/new-international-bim-standard-launched/
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM articles.
- BIM standards.
- BIM resources.
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS 1192.
- BS 1192-4:2014.
- BS 8536-1:2015 Briefing for design and construction. Code of practice for facilities management (Buildings infrastructure).
- BS 8536-2:2016
- International Organisation for Standardisation ISO.
- PAS 1192-2
- PAS 1192-2 consultation.
- PAS 1192-3.
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management.
- PAS 1192-6.
Featured articles and news
Review of the bible for heritage assets and their management.
The David Lloyd Lymington Sports Village was 'Commended' in CIAT's 2018 AT Awards.
How do we make the smart city a reality?
Sir Nicholas Grimshaw has been awarded the UK’s highest honour for architecture.
Protecting the construction industry from Brexit.
Conceiving buildings collaboratively, testing them virtually.
Effective collaboration in post-disaster response and recovery
How do you prepare a claim for an extension of time and ensure it isn't rejected?
How innovative ‘design thinking’ may lead to new surface-water solutions.
What will be this year's office design trends?
Enhancing sustainability and resilience in disaster response.