BS 8536-1:2015 Briefing for design and construction. Code of practice for facilities management (Buildings infrastructure)
In July 2015, the British Standards Institute (BSI) published BS 8536-1:2015 Briefing for design and construction. Code of practice for facilities management (Buildings infrastructure). It replaced BS 8536:2010 Facility management briefing. Code of practice.
BS 8536-1:2015 is part a suite of documents developed to support Building Information Modelling (BIM) level 2, which is required on centrally-procured public projects from April 2016. Level 2 BIM requires fully collaborative 3D BIM with all project and asset information, documentation and data being electronic.
BS 8536-1:2015 gives recommendations for briefing so that designers consider performance in use. This is intended to ensure that the operator, operations team and their supply chain from are involved from the outset and that the project delivery supply chain continue to be involved through the operational phase and defined periods of aftercare.
- Architects/designer firms.
- Structural engineers.
- Mechanical and electrical engineers.
- Real estate managers.
- Facility managers.
- Asset managers (owners/operators).
The 2015 revisions include:
- Briefing requirements for BIM, post occupancy evaluation (POE) and soft landings (a strategy adopted to ensure the transition from construction to occupation is 'bump-free' and that operational performance is optimised).
- The integration of information management with the requirements for post occupancy evaluation.
- Cross referencing information requirements associated with other Level 2 BIM standards such as PAS 1192-2, PAS 1192-3, PAS 1192-5 and BS 1192-4.
- Updating content to align it with current best practice.
Mark Bew, Chairman of the BIM Task Group said, “The Government has a vision to reduce whole life costs of assets by 33% by 2025, and the revision of BS 8536 incorporating the principles of GSL (Government Soft Landings) will ensure that it will become one of the key guidance documents, alongside PAS 1192-2, PAS 1192-3 and BS 1192-4 to achieve this aim in both the private and public sectors”.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM Task Group.
- BIM articles.
- BIM glossary of terms.
- BIM standards.
- BS 1192-4:2014. Collaborative production of information Part 4: Fulfilling employer's information exchange requirements using COBie – Code of practice.
- BS 8536-2:2016 Design and construction: Code of practice for asset management (Linear and geographical infrastructure).
- PAS 1192-2.
- PAS 1192-3.
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management.
- Post occupancy evaluation.
- Soft landings.