2022 update to BS 8536
This British Standard promotes the smooth delivery and operation of built assets throughout their lifecycle by maximizing the value that can be derived from information and data. BS 8536:2022 is also a consolidation and update of its predecessors, BS 8536-1:2015 and BS 8536-2:2016 into one single document.
 BS 8536-2:2016
BS 8536-2:2016 Design and construction: Code of practice for asset management (Linear and geographical infrastructure), is part of a suite of documents developed to help the construction industry adopt building information modelling (BIM) level 2, that is, developing building information in a collaborative 3D environment with data attached, but created in separate discipline models.
BS 8536-2:2016 provides a structured and systematic approach to briefing to ensure operating and maintenance costs are minimised. It gives recommendations for briefing for design and construction in relation to energy, telecommunication, transport, water and other utilities’ infrastructure.
It is intended to ensure design takes into account expected performance in use over the operational life of a built asset, and can be used for the provision of documentation during design, construction, testing and commissioning, handover, start-up of operations and defined periods of aftercare.
It can ensures there is:
- Improved supplier support at the handover stage.
- Improved operational performance and reduced costs.
- Increased value.
- Asset information model.
- BIM articles.
- BIM standards.
- BIM resources.
- BS 1192:2007.
- BS 1192-4:2014.
- BS ISO 55000:2014 Asset management. Overview, principles and terminology.
- BS 8536-1:2015 Briefing for design and construction. Code of practice for facilities management (Buildings infrastructure).
- PAS 1192-2.
- PAS 1192-3
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management.