NB See also our Step-by-step guide to using BIM on projects supported by more than 100 linked articles.
This article presents a list of useful resources for Building Information Modelling (BIM). For simplicity, the items under each heading are listed alphabetically.
To add resources, click 'Edit this article' above, or email us at [email protected], or click 'Submit comment' at the bottom of the page.
- Glossary of terms, Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BSI BIM level 2 standards and guidance.
- BIM maturity levels. BIM Task Group FAQ's Para 16.
- BS 1192:2007 Collaborative production of architectural, engineering and construction information. Code of practice.
- BS 1192-4:2014, Collaborative production of information Part 4: Fulfilling employer's information exchange requirements using COBie – Code of practice.
- BS ISO 55000:2014 Asset management. Overview, principles and terminology.
- BS 7000-4:2013 Design management systems. Guide to managing design in construction.
- BS 8536-1:2015 Briefing for design and construction. Code of practice for facilities management (Buildings infrastructure).
- BS 8536-2:2016 Design and construction: Code of practice for asset management (Linear and geographical infrastructure).
- BS 8541, Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction.
- BS ISO 16739:2013 Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) for data sharing in the construction and facility management industries.
- BuildingSMART Data Dictionary (bSDD)
- Construction Operations Building Information Exchange (COBie UK 2012). BIM Task Group.
- ISO 29481-1:2010 Building information modelling -- Information delivery manual -- Part 1: Methodology and format.
- Level of development specification, BIM Forum, August 2013.
- NBS BIM Object Standard.
- PAS 1192-2:2013 Specification for information management for the capital/delivery phase of construction projects using building information modelling.
- PAS 1192-3 Specification for information management for the operational phase of construction projects using building information modelling.
- PAS 1192-6 Specification for collaborative sharing and use of structured hazard and risk information for Health and Safety.
- PAS 91 2013 Construction prequalification questionnaires.
- Uniclass / Uniclass 2. Construction Project Information Committee.
- nbs BIM toolkit (Digital plan of work - DPow).
- AEC (UK) BIM Protocols. AEC (UK).
- American Institute of Architects Document E202- BIM Protocol, American Institute of Architects, 2013.
- CIC Building Information Model (BIM) Protocol. Construction Industry Council / BIM Pro, 2013.
- CPIx - BIM Assessment Form. (Based on working documentation provided by Skanska). CPIx v1.0 24 February 2011.
- Post Contract-Award Building Information Modelling (BIM) Execution Plan (BEP), Construction Project Information Committee, R1 March 2013.
- Pre-Contract Building Information Modelling (BIM) Execution Plan (BEP), Construction Project Information Committee, v2.0 April 2013.
 Government guidance
- Employer's Information Requirements, Core Content and Guidance Notes, BIM Task Group, 2013.
- Exemplar process maps. BIM Task Group.
- Outline Scope of Services for the Role of Information Management. BIM Task Group.
 Other guidance
- AEC (UK) CAD Standard A practical & pragmatic standard for the Architectural, Engineering and Construction industry in the UK, AEC (UK), August 2011.
- AEC (UK) cad standard for model file naming, A unified CAD Standard for the Architectural, Engineering and Construction industry in the UK. Model File Naming Handbook v2.4, AEC (UK), 2005.
- Best Practice Guide for Professional Indemnity Insurance when using BIM. Construction Industry Council, 2013.
- BIM articles, Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BIM Personnel, The BIM Hub.
- BIM Video Resource, The B1M.
- BIM Overlay to the RIBA Outline Plan of Work. RIBA May 2012.
- Building Information Management. A Standard Framework and Guide to BS 1192, Construction Project Information Committee, 2010.
- Building Information Modelling (BIM): Addressing the Cyber Security Issues, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, 2014.
- CIC Scope of Services. Construction Industry Council.
- Cross-discipline Design Deliverables for BIM: Phase 1 report – Strategy Document, Construction Project Information Committee, Undated.
- RICS BIM.
- Step-by-step guide to using BIM on projects. Designing Buildings Wiki
- The Top 38 BIM Resources. Capterra Construction Management. 29 September 2015.
- The xBIM (eXtensible Building Information Modelling) toolkit.
- AEC UK.
- BIM4 Communities.
- BIM Academy.
- BIM Forum.
- BIM Talk.
- BIM Task Group.
- Construction Industry Council.
- Construction Project Information Committee.
- Digital Built Britain.
- IBC, Institute for BIM in Canada.
- Open BIM Network.
- The B1M.
- The BIM Hub
- Digital Built Britain, Level 3 Building Information Modelling - Strategic Plan, BIS, 26 February 2015.
- A report for the Government Construction Client Group Building Information Modelling (BIM) Working Party Strategy Paper, BIM Task Group, March 2011.
- BIM Related Reports. BIM Task Group.
- Client Readiness Survey, Interim Report, NFB Business & Skills, November 2013.
- NBS BIM Survey 2014.
- The IFC/COBie Report 2012, nbs and the Open BIM Network, 2012.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
We review a book aiming to unpick the complexities of building physics.
An introduction to the categories, procedures and types of listed buildings.
This Australian robotics firm have developed a bricklaying machine capable of building a house in 3 days.
20bn devices will be online by 2020, generating huge volumes of information. Is society making the most of this rich data?
Built over a period of 632 years, Cologne Cathedral is considered one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture.
UandI adds £1.5bn to development pipeline.
Here are 5 things leaders can do to create a truly circular economy.
Find out about the different types of delays on construction projects.
Researchers at Wien university have developed new system to create an inflatable concrete structure.
Take a look at this newly-opened tower in Chicago with a remarkable 20:1 height-to-base ratio.
The principles, practice and formwork of one of the most important components of modern architecture.