- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Feb 2017
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is a very broad term that describes the process of creating a digital model of a built asset such as a building, bridge, highway, or tunnel. It requires the adoption of collaborative workflows and presents both cultural and technical challenges.
BIM can be adopted throughout the lifecycle of a built asset, from inception and design, through construction and operation to end of life. This encompasses a very wide range of activities undertaken by many different disciplines.
- Raising awareness of BIM.
- Promoting a shared understanding of the value of BIM.
- Promoting a shared understanding of the issues affecting the implementation of BIM.
- Facilitating culture change.
- Ensuring the industry is equipped with the skills required.
BIM4 communities include:
- BIM4 Highways.
- 'BIM4 communities will focus on the goal of promoting BIM adoption and providing support on an industry-wide basis with no single bias to any one platform, group or company.
- BIM4 communities work will be mutually supportive and collaborative; they will share instances of best practice to benefit the greater good.
- BIM4 communities will be the forum for all specialist interest groups aiming to coordinate BIM activities; they will do this by working together and pooling resources to provide an effective and practical conduit that is both knowledge-based and current.'
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Special educational needs: analysing the necessities for inclusion
Can we build cities that anticipate the future?
How to provide affordable, sustainable and healthy urban communities.
The government has launched an ‘Outsourcing Playbook’.
How can we ensure the benefits of off-site construction are realised?
A new theory for managing large complex projects
A vision for digital highways
Finding stone to conserve historic buildings.
If it is not planned properly even a simple activity can kill.
A disgruntled or ignored stakeholder can easily derail your hard work.
Next generation cementitious materials
Still going strong...one of the great buildings of the 20th century.