- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Feb 2017
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is a very broad term that describes the process of creating a digital model of a built asset such as a building, bridge, highway, or tunnel. It requires the adoption of collaborative workflows and presents both cultural and technical challenges.
BIM can be adopted throughout the lifecycle of a built asset, from inception and design, through construction and operation to end of life. This encompasses a very wide range of activities undertaken by many different disciplines.
- Raising awareness of BIM.
- Promoting a shared understanding of the value of BIM.
- Promoting a shared understanding of the issues affecting the implementation of BIM.
- Facilitating culture change.
- Ensuring the industry is equipped with the skills required.
BIM4 communities include:
- BIM4 Highways.
BIM 4 communities are able to adopt a charter, committing to the following values:
- 'BIM4 communities will focus on the goal of promoting BIM adoption and providing support on an industry-wide basis with no single bias to any one platform, group or company.
- BIM4 communities work will be mutually supportive and collaborative; they will share instances of best practice to benefit the greater good.
- BIM4 communities will be the forum for all specialist interest groups aiming to coordinate BIM activities; they will do this by working together and pooling resources to provide an effective and practical conduit that is both knowledge-based and current.'
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.