- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Sep 2018
Bridges are a common feature of the built environment and one of the key elements of civil engineering. The basic principles of bridge design are dependent on the nature of the spanning structure; its shape, materials, means of support, distance spanned, terrain, function, budget, exposure and so on.
The three basic types of bridge structure are:
Other articles on Designing Buildings Wiki about bridges, include:
- 3D printed bridge.
- Assessing bridges.
- Garden bridge.
- Genoa bridge collapse.
- Queensferry Crossing.
- Optimal arch bridge.
- The Iron Bridge.
- The Millau Viaduct.
- A green bridge is a crossing that allows the safe passage of wildlife.
- An overbridge is a bridge crossing over a transport corridor.
- An underbridge is a bridge crossing under a transport corridor.
- A viaduct is a bridge like structure composed of a series of spans, used to carry roads and railways across valleys and other depressions.
- The span of a bridge is the horizontal distance between its supports.
- The underside of a bridge is described as a 'soffit'.
- The surface of a bridge which allows passage is describes as a 'deck'.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Have the pressures of the market shredded the core values of professionalism?
Lead times are a measure of the amount of time that elapses between initiating and completing a construction process.
Government releases first tranche of funding for removal of unsafe high-rise cladding.
How to ensure UK transport infrastructure copes with severe winter weather.
Location shortlist for controversial new footbridge revealed.
Under the Party Wall Act a property owner has the legal right to do works that might otherwise constitute trespass or nuisance.
BSRIA examine the 'unpredictable' 2018 global air conditioning market.
ICE publish new report calling for new sector-wide body to help avert structural failures.
The rainbow JCB will be making a welcome return to the London Build Expo on 23 and 24 October at Olympia.
An introductory article to external works - all activities carried out to the external environment of a building project.