- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Apr 2018
The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). It publishes standards and provides a range of books, self-assessment tools, conferences and training services. It also represents UK economic and social interests in European and international standards organisations.
British Standard (BS) publications are technical specifications or practices that can be used as guidance for the production of a product, carrying out a process or providing a service.
- BS 8541-1:2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Identification and classification. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for the identification and classification of library objects.
- BS 8541-2:2011 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Recommended 2D symbols of building elements for use in building information modelling. Guidance and recommendations for architectural and land registry symbols and graphic conventions for those preparing drawings. Symbols for mechanical, electrical and plumbing, structural steel sections and welding are deferred to the relevant institutes. This part of BS 8541 supersedes BS 1192-3:1987, which is withdrawn.
- BS 8541-3: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Shape and measurement. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for characterising the shape and measurement of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-4: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Attributes for specification and assessment. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for specifying and assessing attributes of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-5:2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Assemblies. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing sub-models of combinations of components and spaces, covering naming, classification and nesting.
- BS 8541-6: 2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Product and facility declarations. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing data from product declarations, labelling and environmental tables.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM articles.
- BIM glossary of terms.
- BIM nesting.
- BIM object.
- BIM resources.
- BIM standards.
- British Board of Agrément.
- BS 1192.
- BS 1192-4:2014. Collaborative production of information Part 4: Fulfilling employer's information exchange requirements using COBie – Code of practice.
- BS 8534.
- Building information modelling.
- CE mark.
- Common data environment.
- Computer aided design.
- Industry Foundation Classes.
- International Organisation for Standardisation.
- PAS 1192-2
- PAS 1192-3
- Publicly available specification.
- Uniclass 2.
- Uniclass 2015.
Featured articles and news
This CIOB article explores the concept of value in building design and construction.
BREEAM and Measurabl announce integration to improve the financial performance of commercial real estate.
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners' release new images of soon-to-open 3WTC tower in New York.
A document can be called a bond or a guarantee. Does the name matter and what is the difference between them?
New briefing note is launched focusing on increasing knowledge of housing that promotes health and wellbeing.
Arbitration is a private, contractual form of dispute resolution used in the construction industry.
The European Parliament has approved a revised Energy Performance of Buildings directive.
One in six MPs supports the ring-fencing of retentions as proposed in the 'Aldous Bill'.
A stakeholder is anyone who has an interest in the process or outcome of a construction project.
BRE launches online self-assessment tool for ethical labour sourcing.
Tower refurbishment failed to meet safety standards on several counts, according to leaked report.