The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). It publishes standards and provides a range of books, self-assessment tools, conferences and training services. It also represents UK economic and social interests in European and international standards organisations.
British Standard (BS) publications are technical specifications or practices that can be used as guidance for the production of a product, carrying out a process or providing a service.
- BS 8541-1:2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Identification and classification. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for the identification and classification of library objects.
- BS 8541-2:2011 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Recommended 2D symbols of building elements for use in building information modelling. Guidance and recommendations for architectural and land registry symbols and graphic conventions for those preparing drawings. Symbols for mechanical, electrical and plumbing, structural steel sections and welding are deferred to the relevant institutes. This part of BS 8541 supersedes BS 1192-3:1987, which is withdrawn.
- BS 8541-3: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Shape and measurement. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for characterising the shape and measurement of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-4: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Attributes for specification and assessment. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for specifying and assessing attributes of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-5:2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Assemblies. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing sub-models of combinations of components and spaces, covering naming, classification and nesting.
- BS 8541-6: 2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Product and facility declarations. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing data from product declarations, labelling and environmental tables.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM articles.
- BIM glossary of terms.
- BIM object.
- BIM resources.
- BIM standards.
- British Board of Agrément.
- BS 1192.
- BS 1192-4:2014. Collaborative production of information Part 4: Fulfilling employer's information exchange requirements using COBie – Code of practice.
- BS 8534.
- Building information modelling.
- CE mark.
- Common data environment.
- Computer aided design.
- Industry Foundation Classes.
- International Organisation for Standardisation.
- PAS 1192-2
- PAS 1192-3
- Publicly available specification.
- Uniclass 2.
- Uniclass 2015.
Featured articles and news
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.
IHBC article considers how heritage is dealt with when infrastructure schemes are authorised.
It was the tallest structure in the world for 3,800 years, but to this day the exact construction techniques are a mystery.
Shortlist for the industry's most coveted award announced.
Government responds to Mark Farmer's review of industry, rejecting the call for a levy on clients.
Peter Hansford to examine what wider lessons can be learned from the fire.
Every project is subject to uncertainty. How can construction better understand uncertainty for performance improvement?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a futuristic campus for electric car manufacturer.
Homebuyers could borrow more with better forecasting of energy bills, according to industry consortium's new report.
Read our introductory article on carbon capture and storage.