The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). It publishes standards and provides a range of books, self-assessment tools, conferences and training services. It also represents UK economic and social interests in European and international standards organisations.
British Standard (BS) publications are technical specifications or practices that can be used as guidance for the production of a product, carrying out a process or providing a service.
- BS 8541-1:2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Identification and classification. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for the identification and classification of library objects.
- BS 8541-2:2011 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Recommended 2D symbols of building elements for use in building information modelling. Guidance and recommendations for architectural and land registry symbols and graphic conventions for those preparing drawings. Symbols for mechanical, electrical and plumbing, structural steel sections and welding are deferred to the relevant institutes. This part of BS 8541 supersedes BS 1192-3:1987, which is withdrawn.
- BS 8541-3: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Shape and measurement. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for characterising the shape and measurement of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-4: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Attributes for specification and assessment. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for specifying and assessing attributes of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-5:2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Assemblies. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing sub-models of combinations of components and spaces, covering naming, classification and nesting.
- BS 8541-6: 2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Product and facility declarations. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing data from product declarations, labelling and environmental tables.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM articles.
- BIM glossary of terms.
- BIM object.
- BIM resources.
- BIM standards.
- British Board of Agrément.
- BS 1192.
- BS 1192-4:2014. Collaborative production of information Part 4: Fulfilling employer's information exchange requirements using COBie – Code of practice.
- BS 8534.
- Building information modelling.
- CE mark.
- Common data environment.
- Computer aided design.
- Industry Foundation Classes.
- International Organisation for Standardisation.
- PAS 1192-2
- PAS 1192-3
- Publicly available specification.
- Uniclass 2.
- Uniclass 2015.
Featured articles and news
PCSAs enable clients to employ contractors before the main contract commences. Read our introductory article.
ICE 200 brings together transformative projects from the past 200 years - and the engineers behind them.
Dame Judith Hackitt hosts an industry summit to kick start the second phase of the review.
This article explains the Buildings Regulations completion certificate, what it is, and when its needed.
Graphene has many potential applications, but when will it start being used in civil engineering?
Increasing productivity – now more than ever as we lead up to Brexit – should be the sector’s number one priority in 2018.
Carillion's collapse causes Construction Leadership Council to delay the construction sector deal report.
Urban Heritage, Development and Sustainability: international frameworks, national and local guidance.
What will the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) mean for you when they come into force in May?
Business Secretary chairs a new taskforce to monitor and advise on mitigating the impacts of Carillion’s liquidation.
Sir John Armitt is appointed the new chair of the National Infrastructure Commission.
High quality and high density homes - is it what we need or is it storing up trouble?