The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). It publishes standards and provides a range of books, self-assessment tools, conferences and training services. It also represents UK economic and social interests in European and international standards organisations.
British Standard (BS) publications are technical specifications or practices that can be used as guidance for the production of a product, carrying out a process or providing a service.
- BS 8541-1:2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Identification and classification. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for the identification and classification of library objects.
- BS 8541-2:2011 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Recommended 2D symbols of building elements for use in building information modelling. Guidance and recommendations for architectural and land registry symbols and graphic conventions for those preparing drawings. Symbols for mechanical, electrical and plumbing, structural steel sections and welding are deferred to the relevant institutes. This part of BS 8541 supersedes BS 1192-3:1987, which is withdrawn.
- BS 8541-3: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Shape and measurement. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for characterising the shape and measurement of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-4: 2012 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction. Attributes for specification and assessment. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for specifying and assessing attributes of generic objects and manufacturer's product objects.
- BS 8541-5:2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Assemblies. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing sub-models of combinations of components and spaces, covering naming, classification and nesting.
- BS 8541-6: 2015 Library objects for architecture, engineering and construction - Product and facility declarations. Code of practice. Guidance and recommendations for sharing data from product declarations, labelling and environmental tables.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM articles.
- BIM glossary of terms.
- BIM object.
- BIM resources.
- BIM standards.
- British Board of Agrément.
- BS 1192.
- BS 1192-4:2014. Collaborative production of information Part 4: Fulfilling employer's information exchange requirements using COBie – Code of practice.
- BS 8534.
- Building information modelling.
- CE mark.
- Common data environment.
- Computer aided design.
- Industry Foundation Classes.
- International Organisation for Standardisation.
- PAS 1192-2
- PAS 1192-3
- Publicly available specification.
- Uniclass 2.
- Uniclass 2015.
Featured articles and news
Do you know all the various types of defects in brickwork?
US museum reveals plans for an installation made entirely of paper tubes.
Review of a book looking at how contemporary architecture found its expression within neoliberal capitalism.
The Great Mosque of Djenne, the largest mud-brick building in the world.
Amanda Clack, RICS President offers recommendations to government on Brexit and the construction skills shortage.
Tired of the commute? This architecture firm believes the best solution is to take cars underground.
Why do so many women leave engineering? Probably not for the reason you’re thinking.
For over 30 years David Trench was one of the UK's leading project managers. Read about his career through some of his most famous projects.
Leading institutes join forces calling for property flood resilience measures to help householders avoid repeat flooding.
CITB publish new report calling for the development of new skills standards for offsite construction.
Residents of neighbouring building go to High Court claiming viewing platform infringes their human rights.
If only Easter eggs came as large as this one in a Japanese bird sanctuary.