- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 15 Jan 2021
Publicly Available Specifications (PAS) are fast-track standards, specifications, codes of practice or guidelines developed by sponsoring organisations to meet an immediate market need following guidelines set out by BSI (British Standards Institution). Within two years they are reviewed to assess whether they should be revised, withdrawn, or become formal British Standards or international standards.
PAS 1192-6 Specification for collaborative sharing and use of structured hazard and risk information for Health and Safety, forms part of a suite of standards relating to the use of level 2 building information modelling (BIM):
- BS 1192: Collaborative production of architectural, engineering and construction information. Code of practice
- BS 1192-4: Collaborative production of information. Fulfilling employer’s information exchange requirements using COBie. Code of practice
- PAS 1192-2: Specification for information management for the capital/delivery phase of construction projects using building information modelling.
- PAS 1192-3: Specification for information management for the operational phase of construction projects using building information modelling.
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management.
A draft version of PAS 1192-6 was published for consultation by BSI on 27 February 2017. It was co-funded by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), the Association for Project Safety (APS), Costain, and other partners. It was developed by members of the BIM4Health and Safety Working Group.
- Representation of the nature and characteristics of the project, site and built asset.
- Representation of health and safety hazards, risks and associated factors.
- The generalisation, dissemination and re-use of health and safety knowledge and experience.
- Specifies requirements for the collaborative sharing of structured health and safety information throughout the project life-cycle.
- Supports the development of structured health and safety data from the outset.
- Provides guidance about how health and safety information is generated, flows and can be used throughout the project and asset lifecycle.
- Sets out a model for the application of health and safety data and information use through BIM processes and applications.
- Provide a safer and healthier environment for end-users.
- Mitigate the inherent hazards and risks across the whole project lifecycle.
- Drive improved construction safety performance.
- Provide clearer, more assured and relevant health and safety information to the right people at the right time.
- Reduce construction and operational costs.
Architect Stefan Mordue, who was on the technical committee for the PAS, said: “Basically PAS 1192-6 will aim to reduce hazards and risk across the whole project lifecycle, from design to demolition, including the management of the construction process, and make sure health and safety information gets to the right people at the right time.”
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM articles.
- BIM standards.
- British Standards Institution.
- BS 1192.
- BS 1192-4:2014.
- BS 8536-1:2015 Briefing for design and construction. Code of practice for facilities management (Buildings infrastructure).
- BS 8536-2:2016 Design and construction: Code of practice for asset management (Linear and geographical infrastructure).
- Building information modelling.
- Health and Safety Executive.
- Improving health and safety using BIM.
- PAS 1192-2.
- PAS 1192-3.
- PAS 1192-5:2015.
- Publicly Available Specifications.
Featured articles and news
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.