- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Apr 2019
A hazard is a situation that creates a threat to life, health, property, the environment, personal integrity, and so on. Hazards differ from risks, in that risks describe the potential for a situation such as a hazard to cause harm.
From a health and safety perspective, a hazard may be seen as a condition with the potential to cause physical impairment or health consequences in people (or any other type of life). In a project environment, a hazard is anything that may affect the success of project activities or the project as a whole. Similarly, companies, ventures, physical assets, the environment and society face hazards.
Most hazards are potential or latent but a hazardous situation becomes 'effective', it can cause an incident, an accident or a even a disaster.
- Working with heavy plant and machinery.
- Working with tools and equipment.
- Working with live electricity.
- Working at height.
- Lifting operations.
- The presence of hazardous substances such as asbestos.
- Exposure to chemicals.
- Structural collapse and falling debris.
- Material and manual handling.
- Hand arm vibration syndrome.
- Loud noise.
- Slips, trips and falls.
- Working long and physically-demanding shifts.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Sharp objects.
- Hot work.
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Regular waste disposal.
- Provision of modern tools and equipment.
- Staff and visitor training.
- Ties, chutes and netting to prevent falling debris.
- Signage warning of hazards.
- Proper assignation of operatives.
- Keeping sites secure.
- Zoning of activities.
- Emergency procedures.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP).
- Competent person.
- Hazardous substances.
- Health and safety.
- Health and safety file.
- Major hazard for planning purposes.
- Near miss.
- Project risk.
- Risk assessment.
- Risk in building design and construction.
- Risk management.
- Risk register.
- Safety management.
 External references
Featured articles and news
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.