- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 08 Oct 2020
A hazard is a situation that creates a threat to life, health, property, the environment, personal integrity, and so on. Hazards differ from risks, in that risks describe the potential for a situation such as a hazard to cause harm.
From a health and safety perspective, a hazard may be seen as a condition with the potential to cause physical impairment or health consequences in people (or any other type of life). In a project environment, a hazard is anything that may affect the success of project activities or the project as a whole. Similarly, companies, ventures, physical assets, the environment and society face hazards.
- Working with heavy plant and machinery.
- Working with tools and equipment.
- Working with live electricity.
- Working at height.
- Lifting operations.
- The presence of hazardous substances such as asbestos.
- Exposure to chemicals.
- Structural collapse and falling debris.
- Material and manual handling.
- Hand arm vibration syndrome.
- Loud noise.
- Slips, trips and falls.
- Working long and physically-demanding shifts.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Sharp objects.
- Hot work.
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Regular waste disposal.
- Provision of modern tools and equipment.
- Staff and visitor training.
- Ties, chutes and netting to prevent falling debris.
- Signage warning of hazards.
- Proper assignation of operatives.
- Keeping sites secure.
- Zoning of activities.
- Emergency procedures.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP).
- Causes of sinkholes.
- Competent person.
- Hazardous substances.
- Health and safety.
- Health and safety file.
- Major hazard for planning purposes.
- Major hazard sites, installations and pipelines.
- Near miss.
- Project risk.
- Risk assessment.
- Risk in building design and construction.
- Risk management.
- Risk register.
- Safety management.
 External references
Featured articles and news
A showcase of She ethnic culture.
CIOB creates charter and publishes special report.
Response submitted by IHBC.
Designed to accommodate flooding or waterway traffic.
ECA states concerns over the Government's disparate plans.
Net zero carbon future - necessity, not choice - was the event's focus.
CIOB event spotlighted sustainability strategies in the region.
The 19th and 20th centuries left a legacy of defects.
An invaluable technique that should be used more often.