- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 25 Jan 2021
Art Moderne, also known as ‘Streamline Moderne’, is an architectural style that developed out of 1930s Art Deco. It was seen as a response to the Great Depression, designing buildings to be more streamlined and austere as opposed to the ambitious, opulent forms of Art Deco.
The European Bauhaus movement was influential on American designers who adopted the principle of taking classical architecture in its simplest form, stripped of ornamentation or ‘excess’, unlike the chevrons, zigzags and decoration of Art Deco.
Art Moderne buildings were typically designed in low, horizontal shapes as opposed to Art Deco’s tendency towards tall and vertical buildings. They were also usually white, whereas Art Deco buildings embraced colour. The sharp angles of Art Deco were replaced with simple, aerodynamic curves. Exotic timbers and stone were replaced with stucco, cement and glass.
- Low, horizontal and asymmetrical.
- Flat roofs with no eaves.
- Rounded corners.
- Smooth, white walls.
- Wraparound, porthole and glass block windows.
- Steel balustrades.
Some of the well-known built examples include:
- The Normandie Hotel, San Juan (see top image).
- Daily Express Building, Manchester.
- Midland Hotel, Morecambe.
- Ford Building, San Diego.
- De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill-on-Sea.
- Coca-Cola Building, Los Angeles (see above).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Architectural styles.
- Art Deco.
- Art Nouveau.
- Arts and craft movement.
- Beaux Arts style.
- Chicago school of architecture.
- Classical Revival style.
- Constructivist architecture.
- Futurist architecture.
- Italian Renaissance revival style.
- Mimetic architecture.
- Modern building.
- Modernist architecture.
- PWA Moderne.
- Spanish Colonial revival style.
- Tudor revival style.
Featured articles and news
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.